GS63VR 1080p panel switch to 4k igzo

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by jpsjosh, Sep 29, 2016.

Tags:
?

Will this attempt to switch from 1080p to 4K IGZO on the gs63vr succeed?

1. It will be successful!

8 vote(s)
    61.5%
  2. It wont work and about 300-350 bucks will be spent for no good reason!

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edit1754

edit1754 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I do not, unfortunately. I've been trying to find the part numbers for and ways to purchase a lot of these cables. In particular I think modding the i7559 non-touch with one of these 3K screens would be interesting -- just need the cable for the faux-K screen!

2. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    Don't know the part nr., either. They don't seem to be available on after-market repair shops, probably because the model is still largely within warranty.

First choice is simply to contact various resellers and ask them for the part. Second is to dis-assemble the laptop and look at the connector on the mb side. These are generic, so it may be possible to find a full-fledged/4k cable from a different model or brand. The lcd side is not a problem; this end is standardised, meaning practically every 3k/4k eDP panel will use the same connector and pin-out. That applies to connector location left vs. right as well, since a hybrid cable can be made that is almost twice as long as the original, enabling you to reach both sides of the lcd.

3. nrdmtt

nrdmtt Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

after a lot of searching and reading, I am thinking of changing the lcd panel of my false 4k GS63VR.
    From what I have found, one option is to downgrade to Panasonic 3k panel, that was previously used in the old model.

Here a picture of 3 alternatives that can be used. Note that, for the fullhd I would also have to change the lvds cable (40 pin to 30).

[​IMG]

I have also downloaded the datasheet of the two panel, for checking the pin configuration, and they are the same

[​IMG]

I have only 2 concerns:
    1. From panelook.com I have noted that outline dimension is a bit different. Could it be a problem?
    2. The connector on Panasonic panel is reversed. Can I just plug the connector upside down?

What do you think? Does anybody already succeed in something similar?

Skylake_ likes this.
  4. cavell219

cavell219 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Most likely the cable you are looking for is k1n-3040052-h39

5. ncgi89

ncgi89 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This is the 40 pin to 40 pin cable that is out of the 63VR 6RF, it works in my 7RE BB model. "K" is the first letter that is half covered, sorry.

P_20170530_155645.jpg

woodzstack likes this.
  6. nrdmtt

nrdmtt Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for the tip. But I need another cable, the one for the FULL HD panel, 40 pin to 30 pin.
    Moreover, MSI is now using 120Hz panel with the new gs63 with gtx 1070 max-q. I was wondering if it will be possible to swap out my 4k panel for the new full hd 120Hz panel.

7. Skylake_

Skylake_ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Come hai fatto a scaricare il datasheet da Panelook? A me chiede un abbonamento da 800 dollari!
    How did you manage to download datasheet from Panelook, as you have to pay for VIP subscription?

8. nrdmtt

nrdmtt Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,
    I have found the datasheet looking around, using google.

9. Skylake_

Skylake_ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thank you!
    I solved uploading missing photos in Panelook about some panels. Then I got 40 credits which allowed me to get the datasheets for free :D

t456 likes this.
  10. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    Yes, bit of a pain, isn't it?

Afaik, you can't simply buy those credits if you wanted to, so having some collateral is essential. That is, unless you're willing to fork over $800/year merely to download some manufacturer's specification sheets ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.