1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Grinding noise on CPU fan

Discussion in 'Sony' started by steve_canuck, Nov 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steve_canuck

steve_canuck Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

I bought a Sony VGN-CS110D a little less than a year ago. I've been using it intensely as a development laptop and the performance is fine. What I have run into is a problem with the CPU fan. After about 6 months the CPU fan started making a really loud grinding noise.

I called Sony and they opened up a ticket to replace the fan under warranty. I took it to the authorized Sony repair centre and they said the original fans in the units were defective and they had a replacement part. However after 2 months - the replacement too is making this grinding noise!

I am more than a little annoyed at this, because the laptop will soon be out of the warranty period and I was hoping to use it at least for a few years.

Has anyone else experienced this issue and can you suggest what I can do to resolve it?

Thanks,
    Steve