Gravitar Passed Away

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Toughbook, Feb 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    This is some VERY sad news. I just got off the phone with Amanda, Kevin's (AKA Gravitar's) wife. Kevin died last night. This is extremely distressing for me as I considered him one of my best "Internet Buds". He was also one of the Panasonic Toughbook forum founders and really helped to get this forum rolling. I started buying parts from Kevin a long time ago. He joined the forum a little after I did. He was instrumental in making this forum into what it is today as he was one of the first gung-ho nuts on here with the rest of us. He was always willing to share his expertise and has helped so many of us, including me, out of some tight spots when we were ready to pull our hair out! Many of us have either gotten free parts shipped to us from him or gotten a great deal on a very hard to find part.

Kevin leaves behind a great wife and 6 beautiful kids. I know that she will have a lot on her plate in the coming days/weeks. Yet one of her first worries was to find out if Kevin owed anyone any parts here.

Amanda needs our help with something else. I always thought Kevin was exaggerating a little when he said he had stuff stacked floor to ceiling in his shop. Well... He does! Twenty seven+ shelving units full! All stacked floor to ceiling. I know that Amanda knows what some of the parts are as I emailed back and forth with her many times on parts orders. I know that he has a bunch of CF-27s but I also know that he has some other pretty cool stuff there as well... Including other Toughbooks. Amanda lives in the Roseville, Michigan area. Roseville looks to be about 15 miles or so northeast of Detroit. I know that Kevin spoke to a few of you out there about hooking up to pick up parts at various times... Or getting together to figure out a problem. The last time I saw that was some time ago and I'm not sure if those members are still around. But she will eventually need someone who knows PCs, laptops, games/gaming stuff and other electronics to come by and take a look to give her an idea of what to do with all the stuff. My idea was that if someone could just tell her what everything is, or point her in the right direction, she could sticker it for sale or donation. I know she isn't ready for it right this minute but I'm sure she will call or email me when she is.

I told Amanda that I would post this thread and provide a link to her so that she could keep an eye on the responses and any volunteers that may want to drop by to go through everything. It sounds like it would take the better part of a day to go through... At least. If you live near the Detroit area and would like to help out (Or know someone who lives close-by to her)... Please PM me your contact info and I will pass it on to Amanda. Likewise, if he needed to ship out parts to anyone here, please let me know and I will pass that info on to Amanda.

If anyone has any other ideas as to how to pitch in to help please let me know.

Thanks,

Rick

Amanda... Our thoughts and prayers are with you and the kids.

EDIT - You can donate directly to Amanda and the kids via Paypal at konner7707@yahoo.com. I've heard that she is close to what she needs to cover Kevin's burial expense... But I'm sure she will still need help after that.

2. Alex

Alex Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Wow, that’s sad Rick
    It was his birthday on the 10th and I wished him happy birthday on one of his many posts
    Kevin "Gravitar" will most certainly be missed

Alex

3. ohlip

ohlip Toughbook Modder

Reputations:
    It is really a sad news for us here. I just been from work right now and it is the first post that read today here in the forum. Just to busy on my job.

To his wife, kids and the family, My deepest sympathy and condolences and I am pretty sure "Kevin" is a great person eventhough I haven't meet him personally. He help me out a couple of times and I've remember one time one member here ask a question and I answer not to the point something weird and he is the one who tell me "If I am having a bad day". And its like telling me to cool down.

Once again to the family and friends of GRAVITAR, my condol...s.

Teo

PS. He is also the one who invite me to join on this forum.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  4. Mega-Man

Mega-Man Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My deepest sympathy and condolences as well, also never met Kevin but he was always willing to help everyone. He will be greatly missed here and I am quite sure to everyone that ever had contact with him either in person on online. I would hope I speak for all of us but if their is anything we can do just let us know and I am quite certain we can find a way to get it done.

Rick please let us know if we can help in anyway and please pass along my condolences to his family he was truly a good guy. Clint

5. Silver Trooper

Silver Trooper Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Toughbook,

Although relatively new to this forum, I have known since day one it's made up of great people who not only share a love of Toughbooks, but watch out for each other. My Pastor once said that we really have it wrong when we are saddened by a loved one's death, that we should rejoice that they have gone where (depending on your beliefs) we all hope to go when the end comes. Kevin was far too young to make that final trip, and my heart goes out to his wife and children. I do not want to pry about what happened, I am only curious as to whether it was unexpected.

Amanda and the kids will be in my prayers and if there is anything I can do (sadly, it would have to be done at a distance), please let me know. If any type of fund is set up, let us know also. I leave you all with this passage:

Job 19:25

I, for my part, know that my Redeemer lives
    that He, at last, will rise on the earth.
    After I wake up, he will make me stand next to Him,
    and, in my flesh, I shall see God.
    The One I shall see shall be for me,
    the One I shall look upon will not be a stranger.

6. Rob

Rob Toughbook Aficionado

Reputations:
    Amen to this!

My condolences go out to Kevin and Amanda and kids and family. Rick I will PM you my information as I would like you to pass this on to Amanda as I live in Chicago and only 313 miles from him. I probably can make it out there on the weekend sometime in the following month to help out Amanda with appraising the value of his stuff.

I'm going to talk to a friend of mine to see if he would like to go with me as well.

Once again I cannot believe this and I am so very sorry to hear of this news. Kevin is in a better place now :)

7. Modly

Modly Warranty Voider

Reputations:
    Whoa...

I've met him in person twice, he is a great guy to know. I saw his stack of stuff in person at his house, he had a massive CF-27 collection.

How the hell did this happen?

Edit; If I still lived back in Michigan, I would gladly help her sort stuff out. Roseville is clear on the other side of Detroit from where I was living, but I was able to get there in an hour or so.

Seriously though, this is really making me feel awful. Kevin was a great guy!

8. themanwithsauce

themanwithsauce Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm pretty close to roseville myself and so long as it's on a saturday I can help out. I don't know an incredible amount on toughbooks but I can lift boxes and move stuff around.

Wish I could meet some of my fellow forum goers under happier circumstances but we play with the cards we're dealt.

9. OrbWireless

OrbWireless Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Wow, how did this happen? I'm just barely new here, but this is terrible. My condolences go out to Amanda and family.

10. Wyrm73

Wyrm73 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I must say that even though I just joined here, I am deeply sadened by this news. It was immediately apparent that Kevin was one of the central figures around here and you could tell just from his posts that he was a genuinely good man. I wish that I was anywhere near that area and I would pitch gladly pitch in. It truly breaks my heart to hear of 6 children and a wife that are no doubt going to miss Kevin far more than any of us ever could.

Amanda, if or when you get around to reading this, know that my thoughts and prayers will be with you and your children. I know this offer of condolance cannot erase the sorrow and loss, but I hope that it is at least a little comfort in a time like this. Your husand was well loved here and his presence will be sorely missed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.