Graphics Card upgrade for M6800 ?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by derei, Jun 27, 2017.

1. bobmook

bobmook Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I seem to remember a 1070 worked fine in linux .......The guy was using Windows in a VM ,........

Here it is ... If that solution meets your needs go for it....

Edit I should point out ..... Even modest overclocks on a 980m give you 1060-esque numbers ......

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Precision M6800 = Pascal cards work fine in Linux without mucking with the vBIOS. (Confirmed by users in this thread with both GeForce 1070 and Quadro P5000.) The issue is only with Windows. I don't think anyone makes a GeForce 1080 that is standard MXM size?
    (Do note that you will need the eDP version of the M6800. Pascal cards do not support LVDS.)

Precision M6700 = Pascal cards do not work at all unless you have a working vBIOS for them and get them flashed on a different machine (or with a hardware flasher).

3. JEAMN

JEAMN Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Maybe on an M6700, but coreboot doesn't support haswell that I know of...

4. bobmook

Reputations:
    \now for something completely different ......this came up today on my M6800 ....... what hardware wise could cause a machine to sort of mini freeze every ten seconds or so,,, I am tearing my hair out ,,,, I know its hardware because happens on two OSs on two separate hdd ,,,,... I have taken out memory, hard drives, changed the video card then changed it back.......this is driving me nuts

5. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I've had stuttering like this when the battery is going out (believe it or not), have you run with the battery removed?

6. bobmook

Reputations:
    ill try that ,,,,,

7. bobmook

Reputations:
    I recently had to replace a cracked screen------- I am certain I was sold a loser as that explains every bit of this strange behavior. I just never considered I had been ripped off. If any of ya'll know a good source other than ebay to get one of a fair price I'd love to hear from you

8. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You want to get a common 17.3" edp lcd ? you could upgrade the M6800 up to 4k monitor if it have a 40pins eDP cable, like on the M6700 I think

9. bobmook

Reputations:
    I wouldn't even begin to know how to tell, but I just want the 1920 x 1080 display I had, without the stuttering

10. lewis marx

lewis marx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have good news or bad news depending on y'alls previous stance on the quadro p3000 working. i have a m6800 lvds model. i am very sure i am using the lvds motherboard and screen because i upgraded it myself. the bios is just a generic dell vbios downloaded from techpowerup, and i custom modded the driver inf but otherwise i just plopped it in with my nvidia variant 2 heatsink and it booted straight to windows and works perfectly fine. i know my account is new but i made it just to post this because so many people said it is impossible i wanted to let y'all know it isn't, i've done it.