**GPU2 temperature issues - confirmation requested, please help with GPU temp data**

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by 5150Joker, May 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5150Joker

5150Joker Tech|Inferno

Reputations:

It's possible a driver issue could cause something like that but we still need more test samples. I'm still waiting on results to be posted by other M18x owners with stock + AMD drivers to see what's up.

2. JTOverath

JTOverath Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    30+ minutes and still about the same on temps +/- a degree.

And holy crap you remove the load and the temps drop almost immediately. Seems to me the R2 sometimes took several seconds for the fans to drop back down.

3. jfbarea

jfbarea Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Same problem a difference +/- 10º. I have latests amdati drivers 11.5

4. 5150Joker

5150Joker Tech|Inferno

Reputations:

John, what are your idle temps for GPU 1 and 2? Also, are you running on stock drivers or AMD 11.5? Thanks for the results.

jfbarea, did you observe the temperature difference with GPU 2 having higher temps or GPU 1? Thanks!

5. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Id love to be able to test out but still waiting on my delivery...seems odd that the m18x secondary is so much hotter than the primary (if there is a comon fault on gpu1)....on my R2 it was always the other way around...primary (gpu0) was maybe 4-5c hotter but thats within tolerance I guess...i will surely run furmark multi gpu when mine lands.....not for another week or so yet unfortunately

I imagine that as JT's temps seem normal or within tolerance, that suggest that you got a duff heatsink or something Brian....if it were a manufacturing defect, all would exhibit the same issue, right?

6. jfbarea

jfbarea Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    With Furmark / AMD 11.5
    GPU 1 = 76º
    GPU 2 = 86º

With HWinfo32 / AMD 11.5
    GPU 0 = 76º
    GPU 1=86º

;)

7. 5150Joker

5150Joker Tech|Inferno

Reputations:
    I just took out my SSD and put the Dell HDD back in with stock everything. I'm going to test to see if it could be a driver issue that is causing this. If it is driver related, it would have to be the low power setting for Crossfire. If you look in the CCC with the stock Dell drivers, it has an option to force the GPU's into high power state. In the 11.5 Catalyst, that option isn't there which could possibly explain it.

8. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    If JT is on Dell stock video drivers and his temps are anything to go by, as they seem relatively normal , looks like it may well be a driver issue......jfbarea is also using 11.5 like you were Brian and his temp swings were about the same as you were experiencing.....

I guess we could do with more people posting temps using Dell stock drivers and then maybe reference drivers to compare....

9. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    I think you are right. I had a similar problem back with my R2 + AMD drivers, second 4870M was running 10C higher.

10. 5150Joker

5150Joker Tech|Inferno

Reputations:

One more question: Did you notice the GPU 1 fan (left side) revs into a higher RPM than GPU 2's fan? I can hear and feel the difference, GPU fan 1 is running at higher level than GPU fan 2. This is especially noticeable after furmark has been run for an extended period (10 mins+) because GPU fan 1 reaches max speed while GPU fan 2 is one level under it. If I use Mumak's HwInfo32 fan control, I can push GPU fan 2 to max speed. But the bios itself has yet to do so.

My observation so far with Dell stock drivers and install:

First 5 minutes: Temps are within 2-5C of each other for both GPUs.

10 mins+: GPU fan 1 kicks into high gear and temps drop to 70C. GPU Fan 2 does not kick into full throttle (stays one level below) and the GPU hits 80-81C.

I observed this behavior with both stock paste and Mx-4 paste with the stock paste obviously giving higher temps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.