GPU vBIOS editing - where can I read more about it?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Doc Fox, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Doc Fox

Doc Fox Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So I have been doing some web searching regarding vBIOS flashing and found out that some people have successfully flashed their razer laptops max-Q RTX cards with regular notebook cards vBIOS to increase their tdp. This seems like a pretty awesome upgrade, but at the same time fairly scary.

My question is, is there a way to edit a cards own BIOS is someway, and increase the TDP manually. The MSI GE75 has plenty of cooling for the 115W 2070 in it. I would love to increase that TDP to say 140-150W.

My hardware part number is 1f10 which is different to the desktop cards which are 1f02, 1f07, so I assume it would be negligent to copy a vbios of a desktop card, since there might be more differences.

I would like to learn more, so if anyone has reading to point me to, it would be much appreciated.

2. BazsiBazsi

BazsiBazsi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    vBios is some kind of a secret sauce around here. I've been poking around for 2 days but its mostly dead links and a lot of mentions about a guy called Prema. He is a talented modder who now runs a team of overclockers but deleted all his previously made mods for older cards. I cant even find a single bios from! Thats being said there are other guys who made vBios mods in the past and you can get them, but your card is a pretty recent one so I wouldnt do anything like that. If you can extract the bios with nvflash you can edit it tho.
    Additionally check these out:

Doc Fox likes this.
  3. Doc Fox

Doc Fox Notebook Geek

Reputations:

Its Mr.Fox! I guess I will extract my own vbios with GPUz and fiddle around with it.

Btw, here is some guys benchmark for reference: https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6612143 ; This benchmark is on a max-Q! My highest benchmark https://www.3dmark.com/spy/7485755 , has over 10% lower graphics score than this guy... I have virtually the highest benchmark score for my hardware as well... Clearly he increased his max-Q cards tdp beyond 115W.

Edit: After some reading I have found that I can extract my vBIOS with GPUz and flash it with NvFlash, both work for turing. What I dont know is how to edit the vBIOS once I have it...

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  4. BazsiBazsi

Reputations:
    This question beats me because I don't even know if theres a bios editor for Pascal cards. I've only edited old r9 2XX AMD cards with a now discontinued editor. Nvidia encrypted their bios and probably no one can crack it. Yet. Pretty sad huh? The manufacturers have to buy stupid licenses probably and no ones going to leak it and risk a partnership break with the biggest VGA manufacturer.

5. Doc Fox

Doc Fox Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yh, there doesnt seem to be a bios editor available for turning, however this https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6612143 guy definitely flashed his bios, because he is essentially getting desktop numbers.. Maybe he simply flashed his gpu with a desktop rtx 2070 bios which is 175W tdp. I wont dare do that until I learn a bit more. Honestly this card is already well above 100 fps in most games, so no need taking big risks yet XD

BazsiBazsi likes this.
  6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Look at secondary graphics card in that Time Spy results.

Flash desktop vBios on notebooks won’t work.

Arrrrbol likes this.
  7. Doc Fox

Doc Fox Notebook Geek

Reputations:

wow... did that guy add a freaking eGPU to a RTX2070 laptop... then again I thought timespy would have shown the score under the GPU he benched.. thank you, I can rest easy now.

joluke, Papusan and BazsiBazsi like this.
  8. BazsiBazsi

Reputations:
    My desktop Asus rog o8g 1070 card outperforms a "normal" rog 8g card. Has a higher tdp and boost clock but even if i change the setting on the slower card I can't get similar results.

9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Yeah, you can't fully rely on all results on the 3Dmark ranking list anymore (notebook hardware). Have been screwed up the last 4 years due eGPU / AGA. You need to look more on secondary hardware used if the results smells weird.

10. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You can look at http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/mobile-pascal-tdp-tweaker-update-and-feedback-thread.806161/
    But mobile RTX cards editing still doesn't seem to work and Pascal cards on 8th gen mobile/desktop laptops is still hit and miss (checksum issues).
    And you absolutely *MUST* make a full backup of the bios chip no matter what you choose to do.

If you want to mess around with this, buy a Skypro 1/2/3 (I would not buy a CHwhateveritscalled or another programmer at this point), 1.8v adapter, male to female jumper cables (for attaching the clip to the adapter) and a Pomona 5250 clip and then making a backup of the original bios before doing anything. Skypros are easily available on Amazon. II and III are only available from ebay or china/aliexpress and the only one I saw that ships with a battery is an ebay one that was over $100 (Aliexpress ones don't ship with a battery). YMMV. And don't start messing with the "Extreme Power Limits" section either--you don't know what it does, so don't mess with it.

Papusan, triturbo and Doc Fox like this.