GPU Selection.. You're thoughts

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by TBoneSan, Mar 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    Yeah.. The case choice mainly came down to eventually needing to transport it or ship it back home one day. I probably still would have gone matx though, just a bigger case.

The h80i might do, but things might start getting real noisy.
    I might settle for some blower cards and get a better AIO on the CPU . Titan X can perhaps screw off. We all know a TI is on the cards. Probably further away than I'm willing to wait though.
    At least 980's should start dropping in price now.
    Anyway.. Still waiting on my PSU/RAM/MB to be delivered... Then I'll grab the other parts.

Cheers for your help champ.

2. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It's a build. I'm never buying the Alienware Graphics Throttle Box.

DataShell, TomJGX and TBoneSan like this.
  3. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    Good to hear. What's the plan?

Yeah the GA is pointless. A mini ITX and an older alienware with HDMI-in is a better proposition.. Not that anyone would. But if you think of it like that, the GA becomes even more overpriced and redundant.

4. J.Dre

Reputations:
    Plan to build a water setup, but won't be dropping a ton of money on graphics. Pascal is next on NVIDIA's to do list. Might just grab a 980 and wait it out. Currently, my monitors are all 1080p, so I don't need anything more than that.

I'm definitely going X99, DDR4 2666MHz, Hexa-core CPU, etc. in anticipation for upgrades. There are a bunch of new monitors coming out soon by ASUS - G-SYNC, 1440p, 144Hz, IPS, etc. and start at around $599. By next year they should be widely available and much cheaper. 2016 is going to be a great year for gamers and enthusiasts.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
    TBoneSan likes this.
  5. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    Yeah that high refresh IPS has peaked my interest big time. Finally one with a high refresh.

Shame I just got the ASUS 1080p 144fps only recently but I'm well happy with it. I can't go back to 60hz now. 24 inch is also at the limits for my desk space so I am limited with that too.

6. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    Check out the Acer XB270HU

TBoneSan likes this.
  7. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I love my new X99/970/5820k desktop build. I am glad to see some life in this section of the forums. I've been hunting around for a new forum to post in as it seems the desktop hardware section and desktop review is basically a ghost town.

I opted for a Asus Strix 970 as I have the Asus VG248QE 144 1080p monitor as well, and this build drives that monitor perfectly. I'm been eyeing that new Acer IPS 144 that is just releasing. Though I bet my wife would kill me though if she saw me getting an $700-800 monitor after I just got this monitor not too long ago. May have to pick up some open trips to subsidize that purchase haha.

I also went cheap on the ram a bit, and went with some budget type Crucial Ballistix Sport 2X8GB 2400. Works great.

8. J.Dre

Reputations:
    I just ordered my first desktop build. (Built some for others, but never kept a build for myself.) All of the parts should be here by Saturday. :cool: Ordered AlphaCool radiators, Koolance water blocks, etc. - premium water cooling setup in anticipation for next years plans.

Decided to go with the ASUS Strix GTX 980 for the time being. Got a nice deal because I signed up for Amazon Prime's Card and apparently get "The Witcher 3" download for free. It's plenty for my 1080p monitors. Next year I plan to do some major upgrading in the screen and GPU department.

Hopefully I like the build. I've been a straight laptop gamer/user for many years.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
    killkenny1 and Talon like this.
  9. sasuke256

sasuke256 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    At least she understands that her man likes hardware :D and not call him "child" like every 24years-old woman says to geeks in my country..

Talon likes this.
  10. n=1

n=1 YEAH SCIENCE!

Reputations:
    I demand a build log. :D

With Alphacool rads just watch out for the extra Z-height clearance you need for the plugs to seal up the extra unused ports. I had to break out the Dremel on my Enthoo Primo to get the bottom rad to fit snug.