GPU Selection.. You're thoughts

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by TBoneSan, Mar 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    Ok brothers. (ignoring my phones predictive text on the thread title 'you're' instead of 'your')

I'm slowly putting a desktop together.
    So far its an X99 matx in a Air 240 case. Corsair ddr4 2400 ram.

5820k is coming next. I'm just using all in one coolers... for now.
    x 2 GPU's is on the cards. Please spare me any 'that's overkill' type of comments :) No such thing

Now I know the GPU options out there. But I respect alot members insight here and this desktop section is a ghost town.

So far the plan was 2 x 980's.

I am happy to wait an see what AMD's offerings are with the 390x, however they may need to be watercooled. I'm sure they are offering both air and watercooled models. However without the cooler I they may run hot? Small case and all. Due to the case, this would prevent using the watercooled releases.

Titan X - I haven't ruled it out but budget dictates.. I would only buy 1.. Initially.

2 x 970 isn't an option. It needs to trounce my laptop 980m SLI to make sense (to me).

Love to hear your thoughts.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  2. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    Give it a few days and things on both AMD and Nvidia sides will be more clear

TBoneSan likes this.
  3. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    Yeah I hope so. I feel like the gloves might be coming off this round.

4. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    http://www.game-debate.com/news/?news=16275&graphics=GeForce GTX 980 Ti 8GB&title=GTX 980 Ti Benchmarks Compared to Titan X And R9 390X Game Performance Analysis

Not sure how legit the results/sources are, but AMD seems to be back in the game.

Looks like the Titan X and M390x are going to be close, but I'm betting NVIDIA's superior driver support will be a huge benefit to gamers. However, price is going to be a huge factor in this debate (which is better). The Titan X is expected to be $1299-$1349, while the 980Ti is expected to be around $799.

In some ways, the 980 is already an old card. But it's still an excellent option for gamers. NVIDIA was planning to release the 980Ti back in December/January, but production issues delayed the release.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
    TBoneSan likes this.
  5. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Sit on it. You already have a powerful enough laptop, so there's no rush. See what AMD and nVidia will have to offer and then decide which graphics card to buy.

6. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    TBoneSan already sold/is in the process of selling his M18x R2 piecemeal and is all aboard the desktop train

TomJGX and TBoneSan like this.
  7. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    But Nvidia will reflash all Titans to higher clocks as before and things are done.

8. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Forgot to mention in my previous post that the 390x is expected to have a whopping $700-$799 price tag for that insane level of performance. You can't beat that.

9. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    Cheers.. Yeah it might be a good time to give AMD some love. Plus I'd really like to stick it to Nvidia if I have the chance. My only concern is one of these 390x's on air might thermally prohibit having dual cards in the air 240 - I hope this isn't the case (pun intended). Hopefully they run alot cooler than the 290x leaf blowers.
    Seeing some other people's builds 980 SLI seems to thermally work quite well, although on the limits.

Wait and see I guess.

10. Splintah

Splintah Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I really really like the graphite series 380t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.