GPU downclocks to 600 MHz due to "power limit", doesn't even reach the power limit.

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by PatrickP, Jul 9, 2017.

1. SkidrowSKT

SkidrowSKT Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm afraid it's only possible if the vBios you have allows setting the GPU frequency and voltage offsets.
    The reason why I've brought throttlestop in question is because I suspected the entire package is being TDP throttled. Reducing the CPU voltage could help regulating the overall wattage for the GPU, and thus prevent it from throttling.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

2. PatrickP

PatrickP Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Even if I (using throttlestop) underclock my CPU to 0.8 GHz, my GPU still throttles because "power limit" during those games, so that's not the problem :(
    I've read about Kepler Bios Tweaker which lets me modify my VBIOS, do you think this might solve my problem?
    I don't understand why my GPU only does this in certain games, do you have an idea on why this might be? When I think about it, I think I've only seen it doing it when I play 2D sidescrolling games (like LIMBO and Oxenfree), and not full 3D games. Is it maybe stuck in a "2D-mode" with a lower TDP throttle limit?

3. SkidrowSKT

Reputations:
    Try this: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/nvidia-geforce-gt-750m-throttling-fix.776503/

4. PatrickP

Reputations:
  5. SkidrowSKT

Reputations:
  6. PatrickP

Reputations:
    I tried the last solution, my GPU still throttles due to "power limit", even at 50 degrees celcius (it starts to throttle instantly, even though my fps is stupidly low). This is not a temperature issue, and not a power limit issue since it can hold max clocks (even overclocked +135 MHz on both core and memory) running furmark. It might be a BIOS and/or VBIOS issue though. I'm thinking I might want to try to modify my VBIOS, but I still think it's super strange that it only happens with certain games while I can run at overclocked speeds at 100% load on other games.

EDIT: Someone said this: "You need an unlocked vBIOS and there is no such option for the GT750M.."
    Do you know if that's true? Does that mean I can't modify my vBIOS?

7. SkidrowSKT

Reputations:
    Yeah, that confuses me as well. Could it be a specific driver issue with those games?

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

8. PatrickP

Reputations:
    Since I thought it might be an issue with 2D sidescrolling games I installed Never Alone (another 2D sidescrolling game) and in that game it could run at 1162 MHz at 100% load without throttling (and it reached about 85 degrees). So it's probably not that it thinks it's in a "2D-mode". I guess it could be a specific driver issue with those games, but I had the same problem with those games when I installed older drivers as well, and I don't think many others have the same problem?

I'll install a couple of other games and see which games are affected and which games aren't :)

9. PatrickP

Reputations:
    I've now tried a couple of games and these are the results:
    Bastion - No problem
    Bioshock Infinite - No problem
    CS:Source - No problem
    Firewatch - No problem
    Never Alone - No problem
    Portal 2 - No problem
    The Swapper - No problem
    The vanishing of Ethan Carter - No problem
    Life is strange - GPU core drops from 1162 to about 1000 MHz due to power limit, basically no problem since it's only about 15%
    A story about my uncle - same as Life is Strange, about 1000 MHz
    LIMBO - Throttles due to power limit
    Oxenfree - Throttles like hell due to power limit, about 600 MHz

With "No problem" I mean it can run att full clock speeds (1162 MHz) at 100% load. So this problem only happens in a few games, but with Oxenfree it's just insanely slow and gives me super bad framerates even though the game doesn't look graphically demanding. I still have no idea what's causing this but I think I'll just buy the stupid game on my phone instead..
    Thanks for your help! :)

EDIT: And I'm thinking that Life is Strange and A Story about my uncle might actually be hammering my GPU in a way that makes the GPU run into a real power limit, but the situation with Oxenfree is just strange..

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017