GPU Died. Venting at Eurocom Support

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by GreaseMonkey90, Apr 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreaseMonkey90

GreaseMonkey90 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  2. Stooj

Stooj Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Those artifacts are usually due to memory issues. Try downclocking your ram by 200mhz or so and see if it goes away.

What are you temps now that you've re-pasted?

Furthermore, a basic test of if your heatpipes are functioning is if the air being blown out is hot or cold. If it's hot then all is working normally, if it's cold then heat is not being transferred properly.

3. GreaseMonkey90

Reputations:
    Still 90C at full load.

Never OC'd the ram before. Not sure if there's the option to do it.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  4. Stooj

Stooj Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I should probably clarify, but what is "full load"? Full load is very different for something like Furmark, compared to say 3dMark

5. GreaseMonkey90

Reputations:
    Full load as in when I'm playing games ie, BF1, Fallout 4, WoT, PUBG, Division. These games make the GPU run at 99%. For CPU even though it is not 99% it still reaches 100C if I don't use throttlestop to undervolt it.

Besides I can't even run the games more than 5 mins before these OX artefacts starts popping out freezing my entire system.

6. Stooj

Stooj Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Did you test the air blowing out the vents out the rear? Is it cold or hot air? Basically stick your hands behind the vents while testing and it should feel noticeably hot.

There's no way you're actually generating that much heat. Either the heatsinks are not attaching properly (could be warping and may need a shim, but that's unlikely it'd be off on both the CPU and GPU) or the heatpipes have failed or leaked resulting in a failure to transfer the heat away.

If the air is cold, get Eurocom to replace the heatsink assembly with a new one.

7. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    could also check if the heatpipe went puffy or have a small hole

8. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'd check whether fans are blowing hard enough, heatsink fit is ok they're more likely than a punctured heatpipe.

Run an encoding benchmark (Realbench, something x264) send them proof it thermal throttles at stock speed and don't let them tell you that's "acceptable"

Does jacking up the back an inch help?

9. GreaseMonkey90

Reputations:
    Heatsinks looks fine with no cracks. I might ask them to change a lot of things if they refuse a refund. Starting with the GPU, CPU, Heatsink and mobo

Just checked. Looks fine.

I can't run anything. I think the dying GPU is affecting everything in the system. I get BSOD if I run any benchmarking stuff. I also forced the fans to run overclock mode in the CCC.

10. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Well that's a home run then.

More fool them for not listening to the customer, now they have to fix it anyway and cop an expensive replacement part on top

11. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Something weird like that happened to one of my 1080 GPUs in the DM3 and the awesome folks at HIDevolution (@Ted@HIDevolution @Donald@HIDevolution @thattechgirl_viv and @Zoltan@HIDevolution) got me sorted and I'm back in business with my SLI monsterbook. When you clean off the old paste on the die look very carefully to see if it is visibly fractured anywhere. Mine had a shiny melted area on the black plastic shroud like yours as well. I trust that @Eurocom Support can get you fixed up with a replacement part or rapid repair option since you have had nothing but troubles with that GPU all along.

It probably needed to be replaced before, so it's not going to really cost them any more now than if it had been replaced before. It's just inconvenient and bad for the customer experience to have the machine down for repairs twice.

i_pk_pjers_i likes this.
  12. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    I'd be interested to know if it was the heatsink or if maybe the card itself had a faulty part pumping too much voltage in.

13. GreaseMonkey90

Reputations:
    So Eurocom just emailed me and asked:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017