GPU Died. Venting at Eurocom Support

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by GreaseMonkey90, Apr 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreaseMonkey90

GreaseMonkey90 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So today my x7e2 GPU just died after a month trying to convince @Eurocom Support @EurocomTechspert to help with the high GPU temps. Games just won't run more than 5 minutes and artifacts will just appear. I've tried 5 different drivers and all produce the same results.
    It doesn't help that trying to contact eurocom has been a pain in bullocks. They hardly answer their phones. I once called them 20 times in a day and all i get is voice mail.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  2. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Papusan likes this.
  3. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:
    Sorry to hear about this. Did they not even issue you an RMA, when you informed them about the bad temperatures?

Hope so too.

Papusan likes this.
  4. GreaseMonkey90

Reputations:
    They had me RMA it once and they said they found no issues and temps were on par with their expectations.

CPU were up to 100c and GPU were up to 90c and above. I had @Phoenix helped me undervolt it just to get it around 70-80ish Celsius.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    TomJGX and Ultra Male like this.
  5. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:

@Phoenix - you got the wrong guy bruv :v

6. GreaseMonkey90

Reputations:
    Fixed

7. Stooj

Stooj Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sounds like it might be a heatsink issue. Repasting and re-attaching the heatsink could fix that if it's a pasting or contact pressure problem.
    On the other end of the spectrum, it could also be failed heatpipes. If they get pierced

GPU sounds like it's in a bad way though. With all the safety built into Pascal I'm not sure if high temps on their own could kill the GPU unless it ran like that for extended periods. I would've thought it'd throttle down super low before any damage was occurring. 90C on the core is bad, but mostly because it would suggest cooling failure and thus your VRMs are probably up at 120C which is no good for them.

Either way, they should definitely be replacing it now.

i_pk_pjers_i likes this.
  8. GreaseMonkey90

Reputations:
    I had it RMA back in February. They returned it to me saying nothing was wrong and the temps were satisfactory level. I tried to convince them about the high cpu and gpu temps and they told me its just the monitoring tools that I used. Basically they are saying HWInfo, HWMonitor, MSI Afterburner is lying.

I just took out the GPU and it smell like burnt plastic/silicon. That is very bad.

IMG_20170409_210941.jpg

9. Stooj

Stooj Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Temps are a tough one because "technically" speaking anything below TCase can be considered "acceptable" (that's not to say that it's normal). However, if the GPU is at 90c it's WELL over thermal throttle (which for Nvidia is 79C or 81C) so you can tell them to shove that excuse.

From that picture, it looks to me like there's nowhere near enough mounting pressure. It would also be good to have a better lit photo as well as of the heatsink itself. The heatsink pic will tell us if the thermal pads are correctly contacting the VRM.

Even when you use a lot of paste (normal for ODMs because the heatsinks come with pre-applied dry-paste), most of it should bleed to the edge and leave a relatively thin layer upon removal. You have what appears to be the opposite problem in very little bleed but HUGE chunks on the core (and on the heatsink I assume?).

Now that you've opened it, I would re-paste it with something relatively cheap for now. Either Gelid GC Extreme, Noctua NT-H1 or ideally, Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut. This is just to see if you can get the temps down by repasting and re-attaching the heatsink properly.

I suggest these as you may have to RMA again if the GPU has failed, so you should not waste any long life (usually conductive) TIM. Furthermore, if you used ICD or liquid metal, Eurocom can use that as further ammunition to void your warranty as it's evidence you modified the machine yourself. All 3 pastes are standard grey and should be indistinguishable from the standard stuff (other than in it's application) so it shouldn't raise any suspicion.

i_pk_pjers_i likes this.
  10. GreaseMonkey90

Reputations:
    I'll wait for them to give a go ahead. I suspect it might be the thermal pads itself.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017