got myself a cute japanese cf-sz5, do I need to do/know sthg now ?

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by pierro78, Dec 14, 2020.

1. kschewe

kschewe Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i got my cf-rz5.
    I will review it soon. It is very thin and approx 750g. 1080p screen on a 10"

pierro78 likes this.
  2. pierro78

pierro78 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    does it run cool or does it heat up a little bit ??

3. pierro78

Reputations:
    as I like cloudready (very good at web browsing which is my main usage), I ve installed it on my SZ5 ssd with an MX Linux dualboot ( https://neverware.zendesk.com/hc/en...ow-To-Dual-booting-CloudReady-on-UEFI-systems ) (also tried to dual-or-triple-boot windows but I wasn't able to make it work ... anyway I still have the rufus "win to go" USB stick possibility for Windows ...)

(cloudready on USB stick doesn t update but it apparently will on USB ssd)

4. pierro78

Reputations:
    yeah no issue with the original charger on my SZ5/SZ6 but I have the error (and need to press a button) when I use my CF-R9 charger (which looks very similar, except for the male plug at the end which is yellow (instead of black) and doesn't have an additional "ring")

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
  5. kschewe

Reputations:
    i took it apart and did not get a get a chance to play yet. The mother board is very small 10x15 cm. It takes m.2 drive only. It came factory with 128gb drive. Only 4gb of ram. Ram is not upgradeable. Soldered to motherboard. This board comes with either 4 or 8gb ram. It actually has a mini fan and heatsink. I would think it would not heat up much. the cpu is only 4.5w compared to i5-4300 and yours which is approx 15+w. I have a couple of the panasonic chargers. I do get an error message only sometimes. I ordered one for this model. I suspect my older chargers are more powerful and it detects more current. The charger for this model is 2.8a which is very small. i want to see if i can install a new wifi6 card. my cfc2 did not work fully. i had the wifi but no bluetooth. I will experiment this week

pierro78 likes this.
  6. kschewe

Reputations:
    I did a bit of benchmarks
    This might be of interest to anyone wanting to purchase a toughbook cf-20. The hardware is almost identical. The rz5 will probably perform better since it has a fan for better cooling. This cpu will throttle when it gets hot. Impressive for a 5w cpu with a base clock of 1.1ghz.
    Loading windows or linux is 20-30% slower. Maybe a 8gb model might be faster. The 128 m.2 samsung drive performs well.

m5-6Y57 up to 20-30% faster in GPU!
    m5-6Y57 20-30% slower in CPU

Compared to i5-4300u

Attached Files:

pierro78 likes this.
  7. pierro78

Reputations:
    could you run octane v2 ? https://chromium.github.io/octane/

(I guess it might be a little above 20k ;) ...)

8. kschewe

Reputations:
    on this benchmark the machines are very different
    22800 on arch based linux (garuda) opera on the cf-c2
    9800 on kubuntum, firefox on rz5 and 9000 on edge on windows 10

I assume this older benchmark is based mostly on cpu. I believe this is because of the base frequency of these cpu of 1.1 and 1.9.

A good test is to do an encoding benchmark of x264 video. Something that uses all the cores of the cpu. Not sure if octane does or not.

Still impressed with this tiny machine. I wonder how the newer 11 and 12 gens will perform in these. The newer panasonics are to expensive though.

pierro78 likes this.
  9. pierro78

Reputations:
    22800 on a chromium based browser on the cf-c2 is what I'd expect (my cf-c1 gives me a little lower score)

if you reach 9800 on firefox on your rz5 I would expect you'd reach at least 14000 on a chromium based browser like Edge on windows ... have you just reinstalled Windows ? Windows needs to "cool down" a little after it's been installed because it still does a lot of things after being installed and this has a negative impact on performance ...

10. kschewe

Reputations:
    I ran both again on chrome. the rz5 has a new windows 10 but i turned off everything in the background.
    Chrome browser makes a difference with this benchmark. 22400 chrome win 10

I did run chrome on garuda linux on the cfc2 also. It was 25300.

Opera is based on chrome but for this benchmark chrome is the only one to use.

It is a similar score and that seem more realistic since the cpu is 20% slower in real world benchmarks. I still give it great respect being 4.5w.

pierro78 likes this.