got myself a cute japanese cf-sz5, do I need to do/know sthg now ?

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by pierro78, Dec 14, 2020.

1. kschewe

kschewe Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I bought a similar one to yours with the Core M5 (6Y57) -1.1GHZ. When i get, few weeks it i will post a benchmark

2. pierro78

pierro78 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    kschewe likes this.
  3. kschewe

Reputations:
    Nice list.
    14 on the list i got. There are issues though with that model and the previous one. It seems most of them have lcd issues that turn yellow. half of them i seen are like that.
    Might use it just for travel. I want something to replace cf-c2 in future years though. I cannot find a toughbook that uses the digitizer pen though.

GPD Win makes some cool stuff and I seen some other 8" with ryzen 4600 cpu or intel i7

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    pierro78 likes this.
  4. kschewe

Reputations:
    forgot about this one..
    OneNetbook 4 maybe for me one day. seems like the ultimate portable machine. gaming and doing art, decent digitizer pen

pierro78 likes this.
  5. pierro78

Reputations:
    I find this little and very light machine very interesting to travel :)
    For the digitizer did you have a look at the CF-QVx series ? still kind of expensive on yahoo auctions though ...

I should say I really like my SZ5/SZ6 : cools down quickly, very light, bright screen ... at first I thought the touchpad was too small for 2 fingers scrolling but now I am used to it ... and very good value for the money (I think I ll get a CF-SVx in a couple of years, I think my SZ6 is powerful enough for my main usage which is web browsing (I am using CloudReady/FydeOS .imgs started from ventoy now ... these run fast and cool ... but I am not sure they are updating ...) , SVx is the successor to the CF-SZx and is very similar ... it is quite popular also according to yahoo auctions so I ll be able to find a good deal ... maybe one without DVD player which is like 919g only ...)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
  6. kschewe

Reputations:
    I like to get CF-QVx series in a few years. At the moment they are overpriced, i got the rz5 for a good deal.

I like to get a service manual for the rz5. it somes factory 4gb ram with 128 m.2 ssd. Since it still uses ddr3 i have a 8gb stick to upgrade it if its easy. I seen a few modded bios to get rid of the white list for some things. Its suppose to be a very light machine and i would image decent battery life. the cpu is 4w compared to the u series of 15w. 1080p touch screen should be sharp for that size.

pierro78 likes this.
  7. pierro78

Reputations:
    I made a "win to go" installation of windows on an usb stick with Rufus and octane is also about 29.5k in Edge ... I guess Panasonic is adding some "special magic" to windows so that I reach 34.6k with the Panasonic Windows installation ... I heard "WinToUsb" can clone your internal HD to an USB drive : maybe I should have tried that ...

kschewe likes this.
  8. kschewe

Reputations:
    You can try a different kernel in linux. There are some for gaming and performance called zen kernels. If you use an easy arch like manjaro you can change kernels with 1 click.
    never heard of wintousb but that looks neat. Now that usb 3.1 gen 1 and 1 are fast it might be no difference.

pierro78 likes this.
  9. pierro78

Reputations:
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
    kschewe likes this.
  10. kschewe

Reputations:
    What model is your charger? I will try a few of my official chargers. My newest is for the cf-c2 but I assume it will give me the error on my cf-rz5.