got myself a cute japanese cf-sz5, do I need to do/know sthg now ?

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by pierro78, Dec 14, 2020.

1. pierro78

pierro78 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey Folks
    Just got myself a cute japanese cf-sz5 (from yahoo auctions via zenmarket), cloned the HDD to a SSD, set the OS to french and it seems to work good even though there is still a little bit of japanese displayed before I login into windows ...
    Light and nice 16/10 machine with VGA, SD, 3 USB ports and a DVD player/writer ;)

Do I need to do/know sthg now ????

For example is there some interesting Panasonic software I could install ?
    (windows version is 20H2 and I don t see no specific Panasonic software installed)

PS :

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
  2. pierro78

Reputations:
    dual booting xubuntu ... screen bright and crisp (better than the ms surface laptop go screen that I tried) ... good performance and the fan doesn t stay on when I load an heavy web page ... zenmarket seems to have some good deals on sz5, sz6 or even sv7 ...

PS1 :
    there was an issue with latest yandex browser not working with xubuntu 20.04 ... tried to install xubuntu 21.04 but its installer was failing (I have a dual-boot setup with Windows) ... I am now with MX linux 21 beta (based on debian 11) ... latest yandex browser is working great

PS2 :
    there was an issue with mx 21 : when I was unplugging the charger (old charger made for a CF-R9, not supposed to go with CF-SZ5) I was sometimes losing the touchpad and keyboard ... now with mx 19 I am only losing the keyboard but I discovered I just have to press the "more screen light" keyboard shortcut/key and I get my keyboard back [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
  3. safn1949

safn1949 I'm sure I'm on the wrong planet

Reputations:
  4. pierro78

Reputations:
    thanks it s going to be useful as I ve just ordered a 16800jpy SZ6 on zenmarket ;)
    (mostly because my SZ5 bios doesn t like my CF-R9 charger : it says it s not the original charger and I have to press a key for the SZ5 to boot ... also I will have a spare battery this way ;) ... )

5. kschewe

kschewe Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does the charger charge the battery properly? i wonder how it knows it not an original charger if its the standard panasonic barrel port charger. The dell laptops had the center pin that sent a digital signal. The universal ones would operate the laptop but not charge the battery. I have read that all the newer panasonic laptops from Japan will give the error message if not original or good knockoff charger

toughasnails and pierro78 like this.
  6. pierro78

Reputations:
    yes my old CF-R9 charger does charge my newer Panasonic CF-SZ5 properly ... there is only this warning when booting the BIOS and I need to press a button for the BIOS to finish to boot ...

7. pierro78

Reputations:
    PS : installed Clear Linux on my CF-SZ5 ... Octane V2 is 27.2+ K on chrome ... not so much more than W10 (about 26.7K, Edge is about 26.5K) but much better than MX Linux (about 24.5K)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  8. kschewe

Reputations:
    I would be curious to see a graphics benchmark on this machine something like 3dmark or passmark.

pierro78 likes this.
  9. pierro78

Reputations:
    just got my 16800jpy cf-sz6 : the charger is the original one ;) ... battery wear is also 20% (same as my 15000jpy cf-sz5)

PS :
    octane v2 is 33.6+k instead of 27.3-k (google chrome on windows) ... I was not expecting such a big performance jump as it s an i5 7200u and the SZ5 is an i5 6300u ...

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  10. kschewe

Reputations:
    Is the charger end the same? 16v.
    I dont think there is much difference in real world power. Those cpu are very similar. How long is the battery life?