Got a ticket for rolling through stop sign

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Jakamo5, Sep 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KernalPanic

KernalPanic White Knight

Reputations:
    Always bugged me the ferocity of enforcing minor things with rediculous levels of punishment for the crime in comparison to the actual impact on lifestyle as opposed to the people who get away with murder or worse and the relatively minor lifestyle impact on the punishments.

Some drug dealer kills someone over a bad deal and gets life in prison, but he is both safer and better fed on the inside than the outside. His life actually IMPROVES after killing someone in cold blood and being caught.

Mr lawful citizen makes a minor mistake which harms no one and causes no more damage than making a police officer get up from his donut break and gets a ticket for $150, and a possible resultant insurance hike of rediculous proportions. Now he may have trouble paying his rent and insurance...

The lawful citizen is impacted more by his encounter with the law from his almost inconsequential actions than the murderer in this situation.

The police office in the above situation can indeed hand out a simple warning ticket (no fine, no insurance record) that does indeed register on the police system if you ever do it again... this would have accomplished the same goal and if the officer really wanted to uphold the law this would have been sufficient to get the job done.

Apparently authorities don't consider kidnapping and raping a girl for 18 years to be that big of a deal as he got away with it right under their noses while everyone was watching him for that long.

I so much as raise my voice with my ex and there are cops around. (and she deserves a good yelling at frankly)

The law is SO flaky it isn't even funny.

2. Trottel

Trottel Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    What happens to you is dependent on luck and your jurisdiction. I know here outside of the city you can plead not guilty and ask to go to court at the state courthouse. There the prosecutors will cut you MAJOR slack and reduce the offense like crazy. I got a ticket that would have suspended my license for two months, but I went there and they chopped it down to $100 including court costs, and it was not my first offense. If you went there for running a stop sign they would probably make it a non-moving violation. Inside the city you are screwed as they don't cut you slack unless it is your first traffic offense and it is really minor.

Take everyone's advice here with a grain of salt because different states, counties, and cities do things differently. One thing for sure though is to never admit guilt, say you're sorry, give some sob story, or ask the officer for forgiveness. Don't be mean, but don't give up anything either.

3. joey-t

joey-t Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This right turn on a red light cost me $361. Hard to fight this one in court.
    The police keep a video of the entire incident. I went to the police dept and they let me watch the video of me running the red light.

[​IMG]

4. Modly

Modly Warranty Voider

Reputations:
    Here is an example of a huge problem/peeve of mine about how the police handle stuff like this.

We have cops waiting for people to speed past them, or watch for seat belt usage, or not making a complete stop at a stop sign with no traffic. During that complete waste of my, the taxpayer's, time, that officer is sitting doing absolutely nothing for an hour until they finally catch somebody. That time could have been better spent solving real problems and real crimes.

Now take in consideration the case of Jaycee Dugard, the girl that was held prisoner in a lifetime parolee's backyard. The intense police work involved in checking out that guy's house must have been so overwhelming, that they overlooked some new sheds that the neighbours complained about. Good job cops, you cost that girl 18 years of her life. But catching me without my seatbelt on was that much more important than checking out a known pedo's house with suspicious activity going on.

Apparently the police aren't trained to be smart, they are trained to be revenue collectors. Just tax agents with a belt full of "tools" to use against you, and an ego. So spend more of your time on my dime sitting in the car, sipping your coffee, and not actually working. That's fantastic. Maybe one day they will leave me alone while I am heading to my job, where I stand on concrete and work for my paycheck.

5. surfasb

surfasb Titles Shmm-itles

Reputations:
    Until Police departments become well funded and people quit suing them, they are kind of stuck using tickets as revenue.

6. JDELUNA

JDELUNA Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you have the time, I would fight it. Dress up with a shirt and tie, be very courteous and explain the truth to the judge that this is your first Manual transmission car, it was late at night, you are practicing, and not very good at driving manual yet trying not to let the car stall. If he has ever driven or learned how to drive a manual transmission, I am sure that he would understand. I hope this helps. God Bless :)

7. Jakamo5

Jakamo5 Tetra Vaal

Reputations:
    There was a 2 page article in Newsday today about police salaries, in like the fourth page. 7 out of 8 of them make over 100k a year, and many of those make over 150-200k/yr. Overall average salary of long island residents last year? 49k/year

8. daniel_g

daniel_g Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah, but you dind't mention is that this only applies to LI cops nor that they got those huge figures because they are working overtime, some up to 25 hours more per week than they should - pretty much a second job.

Of course, with those salaries they could afford to hire more cops. Bad management at LI? Yes, but that doesn't speak for the rest of the country.

9. KernalPanic

KernalPanic White Knight

Reputations:
    Pretty sure that once police officers stop shooting people 100 times for no reason other than running from a guy in street clothes claiming to be a police officer while waving a gun, (all the criminals claim to be police too) people would stop suing them.

Suing the police isn't easy here... you need insanely overwhelming proof to have the slightest chance to win.

BTW, the concept that "they need to enforce piddly tickets to make their quotas" is just plain stupid.

My cousin makes all of his quotas for the month within less than a week catching only people doing REDICULOUSLY (20+MPH) higher than he speed limit.
    Even when he is enforcing traffic laws, he has absolutely no need to bother you for anything short of truly excessive speed, DWI, or reckless driving/dangerous behavior as he has more than enough to do. All the piddly stuff he pulls you over just to check for the more flagrant offenses and if you are polite he simply writes you the warning ticket.
    The only current bump in the road is the current big drive to catch people not wearing their seatbelt... he has to write you up for that every time now.

My cousin works a town of 20-30k... full of pretty much upper-middle-class and a low crime rate. It's not like he has his hands full of blood every day, but he still has plenty of people doing ridiculously stupid things. If he doesn't need to write up everyone for piddly infractions, no one does.

10. Jakamo5

Jakamo5 Tetra Vaal

Reputations:
    Change of plans after talking to a lot of people. I'm going to plead not guilty. If the cop shows, I will ask him to reduce it to an equipment violation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.