Got a ticket for rolling through stop sign

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Jakamo5, Sep 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    http://www.miamiherald.com/news/florida/AP/story/1233170.html

2. ICantFeelMyFace

ICantFeelMyFace Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Off Topic - My Grandpa decided to stop driving since he recently hit another car and now they are suing him :( . He has been In quite a number of accidents lately, all started to happen after he had a Stroke(I think thats what they told me he had).

3. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    I think I'd have to go with modly on this one. And traffic laws are put in place SIMPLY for safety. So what does that mean? that means that no 'peace officer' should have a damn quota that they have to fill every month. They should enforce safety, because thats what matters.

I rolling stop, stop signs all the time, and I will continue to do so, of course I will only do it in situations that it is completely safe.

4. Modly

Modly Warranty Voider

Reputations:
    There is a difference between me not wearing seatbelts, and somebody not having a light displaying their location at night. Not having lights on will create a safety hazard for other people, even if it is just on a bike. Besides, what is a kid doing out on a bike after dark? Doesn't that kid's parents have a curfew....

I'm still kind of disturbed by how you could fight with the USMC to preserve the rights of Americans, yet have such a "I don't care for freedom" attitude.

We are obviously thinking of a different kind of rolling stop completely. The definition of a rolling stop from an officer's standpoint is if you did not come to a complete stop, and have a pause (length of pause is usually set by the officer, between 1 and 5 seconds). It is very possible to slow down to a crawl and assess intersections. You also are getting the wrong impression of me running red lights (which I would only do in very bad areas), where I would come to the light, either stop completely, or if the intersection had enough visibility, slow down to a crawl then proceed. Point is, I've had people approach my car in the past, and I'd rather not deal with the "wait and see", just to get yanked out of my car.

But since I only have seat belt tickets racked up (Zero moving violations ever, in 9 years), I'll continue to do what I do, regardless of what you think.

5. Jakamo5

Jakamo5 Tetra Vaal

Reputations:
    I also agree with what modly said. And it's not even because my opinion is biased (which it admittedly is). It's because, the law does not have to be enforced for the point of the law to be enforced. I didn't think it was safe to roll through the stop sign, I knew it was safe. Every road in the all-way stop. Was empty for the visible length of it, which is a huge length. And this cop knew it too. Did I break the law? Yes. Did I do anything that would endanger someone? No.

The thing about making laws is that you can't account for every situation, such as these, and so you have to draw a stern line. However, police have the power to say "you know... you didn't really endanger anyone, and so as long as you know to be safe and not do this in normal circumstances, I'll let it slide." This isn't giving an inch where I will take a mile, it's realizing that maybe I didn't really do anything wrong just because the law, which like I said can't take every situation into account, says I did.

6. Patrick

Patrick I beat spamers with stiks

Reputations:
    Do I think that you should have gotten a ticket for that? No. Do I think that rolling stops should be allowed? No. I have been almost hit WAY to many times while crossing the street for that.

I may be biased in the fact that the people in my neighborhood just don't know how to drive. Once I was stopping at a stop sign, and the person behind me (in their "fancy" civic with a body kit) just decided to fly around me and through the stop sign. He almost hit someone IN the crosswalk, and ended up hitting an oncoming car head on. And this happens quite alot around here.

7. Greg

Greg Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    What cops need to do, other than busting you for rolling stops, is focus on busting people running red lights. They would make a killing on tickets for that.

8. daniel_g

daniel_g Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    People crossing the street thinking you are going to stop do not have headligths.

9. Clutch

Clutch cute and cuddly boys

Reputations:
    Or just sit outside my high schools parking lot and hand them out like candy.

10. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    there is absolutely nothing to worry about. especially in yur situation cuz u have no priors and this is yur first citation. it's just a moving violation, which is a citation, not a criminal offense or anything.

i'll tell u the best and easiest option there is, for u. pay a reputable lawyer 70-100 bucks to get that ticket dismissed. they are lawyers that are paid to get small things like this taken care of. just spend that small amount of money to help keep that big headache to a minimal. keep this nit picky (small) stuff off yur record if at all possible. good luck and don't let this bring u down. stuff happens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.