Google Stadia

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Spartan, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Felix_Argyle

Felix_Argyle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I personally liked RTX effects in Metro, looked really great outdoor. No washed-out colors even with it enabled. But then again, my monitors are properly calibrated (using Datacolor Spyder) and I played it on VA monitor (it has better contrast than any IPS or TN monitor) so other people might have different experience ;-)

Prototime and hmscott like this.
  2. vegetaeater

vegetaeater Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Anyone want to make a friendly bet on how long it sticks around before being added here:

https://killedbygoogle.com/

I personally think it'll fizzle out almost immediately... then limp along for 3 years until they put it out of its misery.

uugui shi, saturnotaku and hmscott like this.
  3. Casowen

Casowen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So whats this about new consoles being solely a streaming device? An intel Nuc can more then do that, or even a smartphone.

4. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Zen2 8 cores and Navi sure seem like overkill for “solely a streaming device”. ;)

5. Casowen

Casowen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah LOL. total underkill for anything related to real time Ray tracing, which is kind of a joke at any rate even with the most high-end RTX system. That was just speculation from a while ago oh, and I forgot that this is the new specs for the Next Generation. It still seems like Overkill since there's barely any games that use more than 4 cores...

hmscott likes this.
  6. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Last I heard, RTRT was mentioned for Xbox Scarlett at the E3 conference, and it wasn't the wishy-washy ray-traced audio that Sony kinda hinted at, so I'm guessing there will some semi-custom silicon to accelerate ray tracing in the Nextbox in addition to the Navi GPU.
    Now that is just false if you're talking about AAA games this generation.

7. Felix_Argyle

Felix_Argyle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Next consoles from Sony and MS won't be streaming only, they will allow normal game downloads and offline playing.
    And yes, plenty of games use more than 4 cores, especially the ones that were released on consoles. They just don't use all cores equally but you will certainly get benefit from them. Even old MMORPGs like FFXIV can benefit from more than 4 cores - I've seen that, I play this game. Next time you'll run some games like BF5, Planetside 2, Fortnite, PUBG or FFXIV - open the task manager and look for CPU utilization, you will see that. It would be stupid to NOT utilize all the available cores since both XBone and PS4 have 8 of them available.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  8. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    35mbps for 4k 60...I know this will kill conventional gaming

9. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Publishers are going to try and shift everything to streaming, at which point the entire industry will crash on a scale orders of magnitude worse than anything people in 1983 could have imagined.

10. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Perhaps there will be a flurry of investment, funding a vast buildout of high speed communications world-wide, bringing along with it joy and happiness for all.

Or, perhaps there will be a more balanced mix of events, with varying levels of success and failure, still resulting in a vast buildout of high speed communications world-wide, bringing along with it joy and happiness for all.

:)