Google Stadia

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Spartan, Mar 19, 2019.

1. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Alphabet is expected to generate over $150 billion in revenue this year alone, so the company needs big markets to have an impact. Google Stadia: Google's Stadia will allow gamers to stream any title to any screen

pulled right off google, the video game market is 134 billion a year not millions....geesh if your unsure of something read up a little. :p

hmscott likes this.
  2. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Wat?
    What console is Google releasing?

3. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    lolz....ok let me explain xbox 2 and ps5 will offer streaming of games much the same as stadia and if they are considered consoles technically so is stadia because they all share 1 common major thing.....streaming.ps5 will have a streaming only version and probably be no bigger than a chrome cast ultra...just watch im almost always right about this stuff. I get the scoop from a tech I know personally.

well his names google

PS5 streaming: Sony confirms next-gen games "can be seamlessly enjoyed independent of time and place"
    By Alex Avard May 21, 2019 News

from games radar in big bold font

i told you guys this was the future a year and a half ago....now it is

hmscott likes this.
  4. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    PlayStation Now has existed since 2014.

And again, as long as ISPs are capping people's data, dedicated game streaming will be a non-starter. At high-quality settings for 3 hours per day, and not doing anything else online, you'll blow through a 1 TB allotment in a little more than 2 weeks.

hmscott, Felix_Argyle and killkenny1 like this.
  5. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    So will (or maybe already do) current gen Xbox and PS. And PC for that matter already can stream (PS Now, Ubisoft thing, and also remember Onlive, which was who knows how many years ago).
    Stadia itself is a streaming service and Google so far isn't releasing a specific piece of gaming hardware aka console, just a controller.
    It's like saying Netflix released a TV.

hmscott likes this.
  6. Porter

Porter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Do someplaces still meter an internet connection? I was hoping that was a fad and would pass. I cannot even begin to imagine what my total usage would be each month between streaming and downloading as many large games as I do. And each time there is an update, or I change my drive setup on a laptop, I go grab a new copy again.

I originally started my digital movie and game collection due to the worry it would eventually come to that and I would be able to disconnect from online if it got bad enough. Well I've done it and have many lifetimes worth of things to watch and play now:D

hmscott likes this.
  7. Felix_Argyle

Felix_Argyle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Some ISPs still do, they just silently throttle down some users, for example if you are Twitch streamer who has streamed for few days with max bitrate. Which you won't notice if you just download games, or play the games online if you already downloaded them. And since we do not have "net neutrality" - I do not expect ISPs to treat Stadia differently unless Google will be willing to make a special agreement with ISPs ;-)

It's not even about metering - once again, Google can't even make their Nest service to be available all the time, and people depend on it for practical things which are more important than silly games:
    https://www.fastcompany.com/9035839...nest-users-couldnt-unlock-doors-or-use-the-ac
    As a user of some Nest products, this wasn't the first outage I have seen, this is why I do not rely on Nest for things like outdoor cameras or door lock.

Anyway, like I said I might be wrong and Stadia will be successful but I have my doubts. I would rather trust Microsoft's cloud gaming platform since they are keep trying to be better in gaming market, from making games like Metro Exodus available in their own digital store (yes, it's not Steam but it works and it lets you avoid Epic Store) to investing money into game livestreaming services like Mixer and famous game streamers:
    https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/1/2...twitch-fortnite-streaming-gaming-announcement

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  8. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    no dude they are releasing a chromecast ultra ala console like attachment.....sorry for the confusion....no it would not be like netflix is releasing a tv they are actually releasing a attachment to make it possible aka mini console

and yes google might be releasing a console...heres a google snippet

Google is one day away from unveiling its big push into video games. The initiative assuredly involves Google's Netflix-like video game streaming service, Project Stream. Reports point to Google making a game console as well, though it's not clear how powerful it will be

I won't lie but isn't that the definition of ignorance, lacking knowledge?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2019
    hmscott likes this.
  9. Felix_Argyle

Felix_Argyle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Here is the generic link for anyone who is interested about Stadia. No rumors, just facts
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Stadia

In the list of supported games they list some games which have Nvidia RTX support. I wonder if you will be even able to enable those options in Stadia considering that the GPU they use does not appear to support these features.

hmscott likes this.
  10. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    IDK if I'd rely on a Wikipedia article for all of my buying decisions / needs, but it's a valid input much of the time.

I would consider RTX is a mis-feature, as it ruins the gaming lighting and performance. In Metro in the lower levels RTX On reduces lighting / visibility to the point of ruining game play - reducing /removing visible features to the point you are missing details important to gameplay, for example. And outdoors in the bright glaring lighting the RTX On washed out colors and textures, so I don't consider RTX a desired feature.

DXR will be offered in the long run, but at any point in the near future (5-10 years) I don't see it as being a necessary function. DXR is just another marketing tool to fool inexperienced people into thinking they got something when all they got was "taken for a ride".

It will be interesting to see if RTX changes gaming play in any useful direction any time in the next 5 years, I would be surprised if it does happen.