Google Stadia

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Mar 19, 2019.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Answered in the The Ongoing Disasters of the EPIC Games Store thread.

EGS has ruined so much of gaming for so many people in 2019, and EGS continues to do so. EGS Exclusivity and Google Exclusivity have nothing in common, please read my response in the above EGS thread. I'd rather not spread EGS across any other threads.
    You can read up on what I think and what I have said about EGS over the last year there:

The Ongoing Disasters of the EPIC Games Store
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...epic-games-store.827320/page-51#post-10985960

If you are interested in discussing EGS, you've kinda missed the boat, but read up on the last years worth of postings, and I'd be happy to answer your questions about EGS there.

My complaints with EGS have little or nothing to do with the state of EGS's launcher development.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  2. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    This doesn't mean we can't compare both products, even if they offer a bit different services. But the bottom line is still it's about gaming, and this is there people can decide which path they want to go - spend more on hardware and get games for cheaper with sales and giveaways, or spend less initially paying for "hardware", but more on games (as of now). I mean, at one point I had similar thoughts about either buying a PS4 or getting PS Now subscription but went the correct way and spent everything on PC, and hope rumours are true about PS4 exclusive ports to PC

I know you have privacy concerns, but let's be honest, we are talking about Tencent and Google here, so that point is moot.
    So I'm just interested in how, from your perspective, one half baked product with exclusives is bad, while another half baked product with exclusives (to come) is okay.

With their resources, I think, Google could have approached game streaming better, but they blew the initial launch by rushing, over-promising and overpricing Stadia.
    Therefore, people might lose interest in it and start looking elsewhere, and ultimately it could end up badly for Stadia.

Jarhead and saturnotaku like this.
  3. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Or not botch support for their own Chromecast hardware...

On and off, no, yes, yes. Not really married to Android since I regularly hop between that, iOS and in the past, Windows Phone. Gmail and Chrome are actually successful, working products so those are fine; my emails don't just work partly and I seem to be able to browse websites just fine.

Just to add a bit of fire to the mix, it's also possible to have a good product and completely ruin it. YouTube says hi, for example.

I don't think you really understand anything I've been saying these past few pages since it happens to be aimed at Google in this thread, but to repeat why I'm critical about Stadia: I am not a fan of bad, half-baked products, period. Call me when it stops being a bad offering amd I'll be less harsh towards it, especially since this isnt some dinky startup company that doesn't know how to tech well... I don't care if it's "new tech" (let's not fool ourselves, it's not) or "old tech", good is good and bad is bad. If you want to see how I treat other bad products, feel free to check out my comments on Bitcoin and Razer products, among other things.

----

The EGS thing brought up by KK1 is rather interesting....

killkenny1 and saturnotaku like this.
  4. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    All exclusives are bad, period. I think it implies that if something is exclusive to one thing, others don't get it, ergo taken (stolen if you will).
    Now, the way EGS executed their deals is bad, there is no doubt about it (and I kinda suspect this is the way they actually want to do it, generates press, and even bad PR can sometimes generate good PR), but I don't welcome another player who plans to segregate market even more. You wanna play The Last Of Us 2 - buy PS4, wanna play Metro Exodus - buy it from EGS (as of now), wanna play Upload Your Data To NSA - subscribe to Stadia.
    And I have no doubts about it, if Google could, they would try to take a big, anticipated AAA game title and released it as Stadia exclusive. Problem is, Stadia had a disappointing launch, so I don't expect anyone wanting to get in bed with Google right now. Therefore, Google will probably focus on "indie" exclusives for now. If it gains momentum they will try to grab a bigger fish. If not, well, another tombstone in Google Graveyard...

And I still not sure how Google is better than Tencent...

P.S. not sure why you replied to my message in another thread and not here, a thread where I originally left my reply in.
    And please spare me the off-topic nonsense, comparing something to another is a part of discussion. Not to mention, the EGS thread you replied in has plenty of it, ranging from STALKER 2 discussion to tessellation and Hairworks.
    Relax a little, you don't have to be so uptight when someone tries to oppose your POV and have a discussion ;)

Prototime likes this.
  5. Felix_Argyle

Felix_Argyle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Fun to see that after not visiting these forums for long time, basically nothing changed (and yes, I fully agree with what you said here) ;-)

saturnotaku likes this.
  6. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Just out of curiosity, what exactly do you agree with and how does it relate to gaming on Stadia?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  7. Felix_Argyle

Reputations:
    hmscott and saturnotaku like this.
  8. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
  9. Felix_Argyle

Reputations:
    hmscott and saturnotaku like this.