Google Stadia

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Spartan, Mar 19, 2019.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    News from the StadiaTeam:

Stadia in the New Year
    StadiaTeam [​IMG] ‎01-16-2020 08:00 AM

Hi everybody,

When Stadia launched in November, we delivered a great gaming experience for players, and we continue to work toward our long-term vision for the future of gaming. Stadia is an evolving platform, and we've been busy in the two months since launch adding great content, features and ways to play. Among others, we have:
    • Added more great games to the Stadia library, including six titles to Stadia Pro
    • Welcomed Typhoon Studios to our Stadia Games and Entertainment family
    • Updated all Chromecast Ultras so you can play Stadia on more screens
    • Rolled out more features to Stadia including Google Assistant functionality and Achievements
    • Delivered a multiplayer first for gamers with Stream Connect's debut in Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint
    • Surprised Stadia founders with a second buddy pass to game with more of their friends.
    We have a lot more planned and will continue to work hard toward delighting gamers with our vision for Stadia. Looking at our upcoming lineup, we are tracking more than 120 games coming to Stadia in 2020, and are targeting more than ten games in the first half of this year alone that will be only available on Stadia when they launch. We’re working with our partners to share more on those games soon.

Gamers can expect more features coming to Stadia in Q1 and beyond. A key benefit of our platform is that we can add these features without any updates or downloads, and we’re starting to roll out the following over the next three months:
    • Support for 4k gaming on the Web
    • Add further Assistant functionality when playing on the Web
    • Support additional Android Phones
    • Wireless gameplay on the Web through the Stadia controller
    There is a lot more in store for this year. In the meantime, we hope gamers are gearing up for some great new games and experiences. Toward the end of this month, we will share more about the games coming to Stadia Pro in February.

We appreciate all of the support and feedback we've had with our earliest fans, and we hope they're as excited about 2020 as we are."
    https://community.stadia.com/t5/Stadia-Community-Blog/Stadia-in-the-New-Year/ba-p/13027

120 Titles Are Coming To Stadia! As Well As New Exclusives?
    Jan 16, 2020
    Cloud Gaming X
    It has been announced that 120 titles will be coming to Google Stadia by the end of 2020 as well as new exclusives in the first half of the year. We cover that and more in this video!

Google offers exclusives to attract customers - people were complaining that they can get all of the Stadia games elsewhere...

Stadia Goes Full Epic In 2020 With Promise Of 10+ Exclusives
    Jan 20, 2020
    Laymen Gaming
    Stadia Exclusives are incoming peeps.. the streaming exclusive war has begun?

Power Support Claw - Google Stadia & Android Gaming
    Jan 19, 2020
    Pixels Cracked
    Today we unbox and install the Power Support Claw on the Google Stadia controller with a Pixel 4XL!

2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    These are the only two things in this entire update that warrant more than a "meh" reaction.

You know those early adopters who are critical to making a new product launch a success? They're growing increasingly impatient. And it's going to get even worse in a month once said early adopters start having to pay for the service. Even the Reddit echo chamber is beginning to grumble.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    hmscott likes this.
  3. hmscott

Reputations:
    Some people are still having fun playing games and enjoying Stadia, no matter what all the BS going on trying to take Stadia down tries to do. :)

Stadia's Umatched Convenience Factor
    Jan 21, 2020

Google Stadia Isn't Dead, And Wont Be Any Time Soon
    Jan 21, 2020
    Generation Stadia
    Felt the need to make this video as I feel there has been a recent uptick in the amount of articles being written about stadia dying, and plenty of youtube videos out there already calling it dead, some even comparing it to the ouya. So here are my arguments on why all this doom and gloom surrounding googles new gaming platform is way over the top and over dramatic.

jay smith 7 hours ago
    "This was needed after seeing all the b.s media and YouTubers who are obsessed with bashing Stadia right out of the gate...Honestly speaking I feel like Stadia has so more more to be seen and realize that the general public can't imagine at this point this of life.."

Paddy X91X 7 hours ago
    "Yeah thumps up for this video!
    Yeah the ****storm is real today! Everyone needs to clickbait the hell out of stadia, with mostly false information and suspicions. Even me, who have my own problems regarding stadia found myself defending it! Half of them didn't even tried it out one godamn time but everyone is an expert now and keeps trashtalking it! Can't remember when the same thing happend to GFN, because their service was far worse at launch than stadia. I know it, because i use them both simultaneously since launch. I also used shadow which is in my eyes also an excellent service. But the image quality and the latency is far superior in stadia than any of them. Yeah stadia has problems and its far from being a leading cloud service, but it needs the credit which it deserves. All are siding up with microsoft now and xcloud how godamn pathetic is that? I mean some month ago everyone was trashtalking microsoft for their xbox one launch and their small game library.. now:" Microsoft's xcloud is a beast and will kill stadia right away!" haha! At least this hypocrit ppl are always good for a laugh."
    Runny117 6 hours ago (edited)
    "Ive been enjoying my time with Stadia. it works as intended and is improving. it was a ROUGH start and the trolls (who havent tried stadia nor ever will) wont let people forget it. thats going to be hard to recover from, but I'm hopeful they do, I'm going to be broke ass for the next few years and its nice not having to worry about having to buy a new console. and its awesome for travelling, I'm not worried about it and will support it where I can and hope others do as well"
    It's not pretty that's for sure. Google didn't pay attention to the scene and stepped into it.

IDK if Google is playing the exclusive games game by default because they funded a bunch of games on their own, or if they bought exclusives like Sony, Microsoft, etc has done for many years.

I don't think there's any evidence Stadia is pulling Epic's BS of stealing games ready for release on other platforms and then taking them exclusive for themselves by buying off weak willed IP managers

Either way Google didn't deliver the message in a community sensitive way and it's being taken as a negative when Google thought they were delivering a positive message.

I was coming here to post Yong's coverage too :)

Replace the **** with the "bird word":

stadia is going to do timed exclusives like epic. they announced 10 games to be exclusive.
    submitted 13 hours ago by Bright_Drive
    https://www.reddit.com/r/****epic/comments/erub2s/stadia_is_going_to_do_timed_exclusives_like_epic/?sort=new

The Laymen play around with Stadia...

Stadia Goes Full Epic In 2020 With Promise Of 10+ Exclusives
    Jan 20, 2020
    Laymen Gaming
    Stadia Exclusives are in coming peeps.. the streaming exclusive war has begun?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  4. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Nobody's trying to take down Stadia. Stadia itself is doing that just fine on it's own.

But seriously, some of the stuff in that strangely-cheery update letter should have been there Day 1. As for 4K, is is going to be real 4K or is it just going to be upscale like their current resolutions?

killkenny1 and saturnotaku like this.
  5. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    Well, well, well, would you look at this?

https://www.windowscentral.com/latest-project-xcloud-update-xbox-basically-just-buried-google-stadia

Hear something? It's Microsoft reading the hammer to drive that nail into Stadia's coffin.

hmscott likes this.
  6. hmscott

Reputations:
    Competition is a good thing, Microsofts got the games and connections to developers locked in, where Google is just starting out.

There's gonna be a lot of servers out there competing for work to do, and Microsoft bit off a big $10B bite of work to do, Microsoft will be quite busy with other things too for the next 10 years. :)

Google doesn't have the infrastructure to open up the gates wide to Stadia, nor would they want to even if they did, they've got a long way to go to bring on board game developers and continue to tweak performance.

Google setting the price high, the attractiveness low, and parceling out activation codes all points to Google slowly allowing load on their new service. Same as they did for their Cellular Service Google Fi - it was a long slow entry for new users there too.

That's the way of Google, releasing stuff as Beta and slowly growing it. It's surprising how many people either don't know this or insist on ignoring it - maybe they just like to complain?

550,000 units isn't a small start for a new (beta) game streaming service, so even with Stadia being nascent there is a lot of interest. And downloads are bound to drop initially until new content and reasons to play are added. 44% more downloads since release is 22% growth per month!! That's great!! What are these guys complaining about??

It's gonna take a good year or two to begin to get competitive with established game services, and I'm hoping there are some hardware and software surprises before then to keep things interesting enough to keep growing Stadia user base.

And this coming Xmas season either Google will lay low with Stadia, or try to compete with the new Xbox / PS5 with their own AMD "special" hardware upgrades... I'm looking forward to it being interesting and fun 2020. :)

Also, Yong presents Xcloud as the same as Google Stadia, but it's not. Xcloud is for Xbox Consoles only, not PC's - yet, and Android game play requires an Xbox Console ownership to use Xcloud - That's a much bigger cost $$$ barrier to entry than Google Stadia. So xcloud has it's own limitations too.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  7. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Ignoring that Google has nearly-infinite resources to pull off a bigger release if they wanted to (MS too; they're both cash-rich companies with the capability of huge server expansion if they desire), this sort of behavior is exactly why I said previously that this just seems to be 1) another Google Beta that will probably be about as successful as the average Google Beta and 2) this is what happens when you dont plan stuff out properly (Fiber being another fantastic example of this trend of Google to cheap out / not learn).

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    hmscott and saturnotaku like this.
  8. hmscott

Reputations:
    You don't build out infinite hardware, you build to a plan, and if that plan includes upgrading hardware over time you don't saddle yourself with a huge build out early on with "old technology".

Google has the server experience to know this, so they won't make this rookie mistake. They may make other rookie mistakes as far as pricing and dealing with consumer's one on one, but Google will keep improving the hardware over time - but it might be a while before they need to.

Google has lots of betas that went on to real products. Do you use an Android phone? Do you use Google Assistant? Do you use gmail? Do you use Chrome? etc etc etc etc.

Why be so critical when it's unnecessary?

9. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Interesting you give Stadia a pass for it being in beta, while being critical of EGS...

Jarhead and saturnotaku like this.
  10. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    This is exactly what Microsoft is doing with XCloud. They're starting small - making it a closed beta on Android devices and limiting resolution to 720p. They're expanding by adding more games and it looks like they are on track to add iOS support later this year.

Google over-promised out of the gate and has under-delivered

Google has plenty of experience in this capacity given that they've sold phones and computers directly to consumers for years.

I've not had to shell out $130 out of the gate plus $120 per year for access and an additional $30-$60 for different "modules."

And NVIDIA for RTX.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020