Google Stadia

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Spartan, Mar 19, 2019.

1. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The one game that offered, "theoretically the best use case for [Stadia]" has seen its player base evaporate.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...-by-more-than-half-since-launch/#470dd6ba2604

2. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    hmscott likes this.
  3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Thanks for that. I've been trying to say that all along. I've been on the Internet before it was the Internet, changing protocols, changing services, changing applications - NCP -> IP/TCP, hosts.txt => DNS, 9600 baud to 1Mbit WAN connectivity, wired to satellite to wireless as big as a refrigerator down to the size of an M.2 plug-in card + a few wires.

From 1978 to 2020, that's a long patient ride to where we are today.

Why worry about Staida's glitches after a month? Get an account and start using it, wait a few years, look back and smile.

That's what I do with all of this stuff, smile. :)

4. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Sure, and when Stadia stops being crap, you'll hear a more positive tone out of the people on the internet not too happy with it right now. Until then, it's crap and Google needs to fix it.

saturnotaku likes this.
  5. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    If you shell out $130 + monthly for my account, I'll be glad to give it a go. Personally, I don't have the disposable income at the moment to mess around with a beta product.

saturnotaku likes this.
  6. hmscott

Reputations:
    Even when the Internet was "crap" it was fun. If you don't think new technology is fun, what are you doing here?
    Fair enough, so you can afford to be patient and wait for it to become affordable.

Why complain about something you can't afford even if it was a perfect implementation?

You should be happy it's not perfect at $130/month, now Google is using both things to reduce the load on the technology in it's infancy, and later as Google builds out more infrastructure the price can drop and allow more people in to the Stadia system.

It's supposed to be "free" soon, + game costs, then game prices can drop to be competitive, then maybe a "game service" that bundles access to games can be supported by the built out infrastructure, so maybe then it will be worth "playing with"? :)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    JRE84 likes this.
  7. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    I like *practical, working* technology, not half-baked products or passion products (like Bitcoin, for example). New stuff excites me only after it starts working correctly and meets an actual need.

Well, ignoring the income bashing you just did, if I'm going to spend that sort of money on a product, I would like for it to work. I've spent money on beta products before (Kerbal Space Program, for instance), but those were far, far cheaper than Stadia and fell within my own personal "f*ck it I don't care" throw-away budget. I do start to care once you're asking me to pay more than that. In a year when it becomes cheaper and *hopefully* it's not garbage, maybe I can give it a try then. Personally though, I'm not expecting much from it as compared to what I can do today with my gaming desktop and laptop (which are truly free now that I've long since paid off those credit card charges).

--------

To comment on the Internet example, the early days of the internet were ****, people rightfully complained about the issues, and later on they were fixed as a result of these complaints and better tech coming along.

For another example, all-electric cars have been complete garbage until very recently. What's the point of spending $20k-$40k on a Nissan Leaf when it could only carry you around 30 miles or so? Something like a Leaf was rightfully bashed in with criticism and it failed pretty badly as a result, as all bad products should. Only later after a lot of this criticism has been levied out and tech got to the point where it was actually feesable did we start seeing electric cars that are actually worth a d*mn.

So far we have something similar going on with OnLive, Now, and Stadia. Maybe it could work in the future, but now...? Given nVidia's and Google's tendencies to ignore criticism for their products, I have my doubts that even the future will work out well for this stuff.

Prototime and saturnotaku like this.
  8. hmscott

Reputations:
    And yet, lots of people bought all of those things in the early days where it was an extra burden to use them - lose money or suffer other inconveniences with a lessor or different than common expectations made acceptable.

I admire all of those that bought the first electric cars... in the late 1800's and early 1900's along with the electric trams and other electric transport that was burgeoning at the time - and would have continued to rapidly progress if not for "big money" which brought "big oil" that took us to where we are today.

Truly we should have been complaining about the smoke belching vehicles subsidized by cheap oil subsidized by our government after "big money" figured out how to pass on the burden to the government.

There's always a lot more to a situation than appears from the outside.

Often all we can do is take what's given to us as an option and if we want what it promises to provide when it's optimized someone has to fund it until it is more desirable to the population at large.

Fund it till you make it, then grow like you own it, reaping the benefits yourself and for everyone else later down the road. Knowing you had a small part in it's eventual success and continued operation, or knowing you did something - you participated when others sat on the sidelines and tried to shoot it down before it even got started.

Vote with your wallet means - hey, I want this to work better and better, but for now I'll support it with my investment in time and money until everyone else see's it's value.

If you want to wait until everyone has helped get it off the ground, you don't value investing in the future you want to live in, then wait for others to help make things you want succeed and then reap the benefits.

Maybe even next month, or the following year you'll want to participate in the success when it's where you want it to be, why participate in trying to kill it before it has a chance to do that?

9. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Stadia deserves to die because it's a crap product with a crap business model. GeForce Now and PlayStation Now are superior products with far more consumer-friendly business models.

10. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Or support the competition. saturnotaku mentioned GeForce Now and PlasyStation Now, for example. I'm not entirely familiar with those product, but do know that GeForce Now has been around for longer and supposedly is better polished.

Save the melodrama for something that's actually important. This is a videogame platform, not a medical breakthrough or stocks in a startup.

At any rate, there's nothing wrong with waiting for something to get good before spending money on it, right? You can't seriously be advocating for people to spend their money on a half-baked or failing product because you like it.

If you want to try to "convert me" to Stadia, the least you could do is foot the bill for me and give me a free Stadia account and library :)

Prototime and hmscott like this.