Google Stadia

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Spartan, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Viares Strake

Viares Strake Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I was unaware of this site. Good to know that hangouts is getting ax'ed

2. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I think there's enough people with good internet and data availability to make it a viable service. Google just needs enough people that just want to play the odd game here and there and don't care about anything else. Honestly the percentage of my steam library that I will ever go back and replay after completing the game is minuscule.

hmscott likes this.
  3. Felix_Argyle

Felix_Argyle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Maybe. Maybe not. Look at Sony's own cloud gaming service, they have been using it for a significant time already. Yet you won't see many people playing it, even though Sony does not charge you for individual game and they have 800 games available for playing. There can be many reasons for that but I believe (based on the fact that quality of internet service is still pretty bad for many people) this kind of service is still not ready to be a viable alternative for majority of gamers.

Let's wait and see if the Google will be more successful than that with their more greedy pricing ;-)

4. krabman

krabman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Not quite, it will remain if you're on Fi for the near term. They use it to send text via data which means I can get my text messages anywhere in the world on any sim. I'm doing it right now and I like that. Pretty much don't like anything else abut hangouts but moving text messages over to data is a huge bene for me.

5. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Here's a news update about Stadia - 2 weeks away, 1st half of the video.

Four Reasons Stadia Might Bomb - Inside Gaming Roundup
    Inside Gaming
    Nov 9, 2019

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    JRE84 likes this.
  6. hmscott

Reputations:
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  7. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Here's everything that will be missing when Stadia launches. Get a drink and sit down before you start reading.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019...-be-missing-many-features-for-mondays-launch/

:biglaugh:

8. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    hmscott likes this.
  9. hmscott

Reputations:
    Hopefully Google will stick by their commitment to build this service over time, and allow time for the stragglers to come through in the end - delivering the games and features promised or alluded to in the beginning.

"At the highest visual quality, the Stadia app warns that "data usage might reach 20 GB/hr." That's above some previous estimates that expected 15.75 GB/hr for a 4K HDr signal with 5.1 surround sound. Limiting the stream to 720p stereo quality via the app caps data usage at 4.5 GB/hr."

So with my data cap of 1000GB I can game at full "throughput" for 50 hours a month - ignoring I use about 50% of the 1000GB a month already so that leaves about 25 hours for Stadia gaming. That's probably more time than I can commit to Google Stadia gaming, considering I have a number of other options.

For $50 / month more, at least right now, Comcast will grant unlimited - uncapped - bandwidth. Depending on the area I think that is truly uncapped, or it might mean slow downs after reaching 1TB during peak usage hours.

I don't think Stadia is exceeding or not meeting my original expectations. :)

I'm hoping they are successful, and the same for the other streaming services.

That will bring in many more potential AAA developers - right now I think we are kind of stagnating with the top AAA developers we have - the field needs new blood and needs to widen out the entry base a lot.
    They can only do what they can do in the time allocated. Some limits are technical, some political or down to others cooperating.

Which left out items are you referring to specifically?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  10. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The Family Sharing one is the most glaring, to my eyes.

Charles

hmscott likes this.