Google Pixel 6 / 6 Pro

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets' started by Atma, Oct 19, 2021.

1. Atma

Atma Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Took me 3 hours refreshing the Google store page but I finally got a Pixel 6 Pro. Not that crazy about the design but it will be in a case anyway. I love the Google OS.

Anyone else buying one?

Vasudev and Convel like this.
  2. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
  3. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    I was going to but man the price of flagship phones has become absurd.

etern4l and Atma like this.
  4. Atma

Atma Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    For sure. I got $475 trade-in for my Note 20 Ultra so that helped.

5. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    congrats in advance! This is the best Android phone and has the best camera amongst any iPhone/Android (at least from the specs).

Tip: I miss the Google Photos app on my Pixel 5 that I had before, It isn't' the same when used on iOS, as in, the editing features are not the same. The Google Photos app has the best sharpen effect so I could take photos in the gym and look ripped as heck. When I do it on the iPhone it's not as good and the iPhone's Photos app has the same editing feature but they aren't as good.

etern4l, Vasudev and Atma like this.
  6. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Congrats on the purchase.
    IMO, if buying Android, Pixel is the way to go.
    The non "a" models are a bit overpriced on release, but they go on sales and that's when they are really worth it.

7. Atma

Atma Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm excited to get it and see what the new AI is capable of. Supposed to be delivered by Oct 27 – 28.

8. Atma

Atma Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks, it will probably be half price Black Friday. :eek: :D

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  9. Atma

Atma Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The Pixel 6 is supposed to get 5 years of updates so I don't think I'll be getting a new one anytime soon.

dmanti likes this.
  10. Convel

Convel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah, I pre-ordered the P6 Pro as soon as the site would let me. I think $899 MSRP is a fair price for flagship hardware with $99 Pixel Buds A bundled. The S21 Ultra and iPhone 13 Pro Max started out at $1,199 and $1,099 respectively.

I found the launch stream a bit underwhelming and non-technical. I had expected to finally learn more about Tensor and the cameras rather than just having previously leaked info officially confirmed. Instead, the important details are still under embargo.

I actually sorta like the design apart from this year's unimaginative colour selection, the back being glossy rather than matte, and the ugly mmWave plastic cutout.

While 5 years of security updates and Pixel feature drops delivered through Google Play is decent, only 3 years of Android OS upgrades guaranteed is a bit of a bummer. Google blamed Qualcomm for limiting devices to 3 years of updates in the past and the opportunity for long-term support with the introduction of their own SoC has been highlighted several times. Let's hope they go beyond their initial promise like they did with the OG Pixel.

Those few niggles aside, I'm happy to see Google is finally taking the usual kitchen sink flagship approach to hardware and marrying it with their software strengths. It's not really cutting edge the way Samsung, Huawei, Xiaomi, and Oppo can be, but it no longer feels like we have to compromise on hardware to get the software we want.

Edit: Nevermind. Five days later, Google cancelled my pre-order. The reason they provided was "We had to cancel your order because it doesn’t align with our Sales Terms." Not very specific, but I'm guessing it's because I'm not a US citizen. So I've gone from a firm October 28 shipping date to not being able to get the Pixel 6 Pro this year, which means availability is awfully close to the S22 Ultra and other major next-gen releases. I've been due for an upgrade for over a year, but that still gives me pause.

Edit 2: I knew shipping to P.O. boxes is usually blocked, but it turns out rerouting addresses in general are now blacklisted by many stores. That's what happened when my order from the Google Store got cancelled and the same thing would have happened if I'd ordered from Apple, Best Buy, or Target among others. The stock situation looks to be slightly better in the UK, where the Pro is also sold without mmWave <s>and its accompanying plastic cutout</s>. I placed another order which should ship on Monday.

Edit 3: I cancelled my order at clove.co.uk and ordered from sotel.de instead. Got my Pixel 6 Pro on November 9.

Initially, the curved display bothered me more than I thought it would and navigation by gestures in Android 12 felt alien. The curves bother me less now, but I still think it's the worst hardware decision Google made with the P6P. You get distortions even in dimly lit rooms and bright reflections under some ceiling lights. It also makes an already tall display seem even narrower.

The second bad decision is saving pennies on the ultra-wide camera, outfitting both Pixels with an old IMX386 sensor without auto-focus so that there's no macro mode.

The third bad decision is using an optical fingerprint scanner. In my mind, it offers no benefit over capacitive fingerprint sensors and probably costs more. The slower speed compared to ultrasonic fingerprint scanners doesn't really bother me, but it rejects my thumb far more frequently than the capacitive sensor on my Pixel 2 XL would reject my index finger. Also, the position is more awkward and the old trick of being able to pull down the notification shade using the scanner is gone.

Google needs to have confidence in the things they do well. Following the norm of other flagships isn't always what they should strive for. The Pixel 6 Pro is a sleek device that makes me think of the Note 20 Ultra, but it's far more anonymous than previous Google phones. I miss the contrasting power button colours and soft finish, although I appreciate a material that doesn't scratch as easily as the bio-resin they used before.

Pleasant surprises so far are the haptics and ergonomics. While I wish Google had copied Apple's matte textured glass, there are no sharp edges fatiguing your hand here. The weight and balance also feel spot on. While the camera visor divides opinions, I find it doesn't look as protruding in person, it's nice to rest your index finger against, and I generally find symmetrical camera arrays better-looking. Google and Huawei (sometimes) are the only ones with cameras that aren't pushed into a corner at the moment, I think.

The phone's UI is overall very fluid and responsive. The gestures are a nice alternative once I got used to them. Granted, I upgraded from a 4-year-old phone, so just about any flagship would have felt fast to me. I'm looking forward to seeing if Google will succeed in fully tailoring their camera algorithms to the new sensors so that consistency and HDR are at least as true-to-life as previous phones.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2021