]]>

Google has quietly stopped selling the Pixel C Android tablet

Discussion in 'Chrome OS and Software' started by hmscott, Dec 28, 2017.

1. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Agreed, it WILL be interesting to see how they get out. On both fronts really. OSX is terrible, IOS is boring (but stable and predictable). They have no where to go with their current OS offerings. That being said, I tried android tablets, I tried a surface 3, but keep going to the ipad because the screen size and ratio is the best for magazine and book reading, and most every app that I would want is available, unlike on windows. My android tablet is "ok" but needs frequent re installs to keep moving fast.

Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Fortunately I jumped on Kindle early on, and I hadn't bought a lot of books "only readable" on iOS, so I can migrate between "reading" devices, Kindle on Android / Windows covers most / all devices, and Library checkout's are available through Kindle for a seemless interface to my reading needs with epub / pdf / txt covering the rest.

That is about the only "fit" for the ipad screen ratio, reading books, comics, magazines, but the darned ipad was so heavy for so long - getting bopped on the head more than a few times as I drifted off to sleep or nap, I just got over it after moving to other devices when they came available.

The Kindle very small reader's are very handy, but I'm still on my 3rd generation (keyboard) Kindle, it's just the right form factor, size, and weight - and easier to read for long periods than on the phone. Plus the darned thing still lasts days on battery, and it's still running strong after all these years - approaching 9 years!!

IDK, hopefully those "tax credits" will allow Apple to take some UI risks - at least in development - initiating a few new attempts in parallel, and some Apple magic will return. :)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    Vasudev likes this.
  3. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

Reputations:
    I personally would love an iPad shaped tablet, yet running Windows 10 and of proper quality. There are many devices from lesser known Chinese brands - but they all lack in both hardware and quality.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    kojack, Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Root or use custom ROM like LineageOS which doesn't need frequent re-installs.

5. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nope. Not messing with that anymore. if they can't do it out of the box they are trash!

Vasudev likes this.
  6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    My sister's phone which she literally threw into trash, I picked it up and gave a new life and purpose to serve me. Lineage OS 14.1 with Nougat 7.1.2 on 4 yr phone with 1GB RAM has better battery life and functionalities than stock samsung kitkat.

Starlight5 likes this.
  7. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Again, If I have to Root/custom rom etc...it's not worth buying in the first place.

8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Its a lot easier these days. You spend 10 mins and enjoy.
    If you don't like to root get Apple devices.

9. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thats exactly what I did...Works correctly out of the box!

10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    for limited time only. You're Apple guy. Most people in North America would go for Apple since it works, works and always works and get best support unlike here. Naturally your goto device will be Apple.