1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Google Chrome in-text advertising?

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by ton247, Jul 11, 2012.

1. ton247

ton247 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Recently I've noticed random words on web pages (this website too) bolded and in different colors. When I move my mouse onto them, an advertisement pops up offering free Ipads or other things. Is there a way to block these? Is it some kind of adware thing that I haven't noticed before? It makes the words hard to read when the background is a dark color and I'm not very keen on having these things on during my browsing experience.

Cheers

2. Leoben

Leoben Cylon

Reputations:
    Maybe post a url and pic of what the page looks like to you.

3. ton247

Reputations:
    edit: not sure why these pics aren't showing. I'll be gone for a bit but I'll figure it out when I return.

edit 2: sorry, one last edit. Just tried a few sites with IE 9 and no in-text advertisements at all. Actually the whole scrolling up and down and loading experience was significantly faster than Chrome is for me.

4. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    I think that's based on the website, not the browser. I think Sony Vaio does that on this website, and maybe HP Envy. I've definitely seen it a lot in the Sony forum and I don't think it's browser-specific. I'm assuming Sony is giving NBR a kickback for it. Let's see what happens when I post this.

EDIT: Yep, Sony Vaio gets blue and underline.

EDIT 2: Only in Chrome, not in IE9. Interesting, never noticed that before.

EDIT 3: Never mind, now it's blue and underlined in IE9 as well.

5. TreeTops Ranch

TreeTops Ranch Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    And Firefox also. I absolutely hate those mouse over pop up ads.

6. Leoben

Leoben Cylon

Reputations:
    I'm not seeing any blue links in your post. I'm using Chrome + AdBlock. (I tried turning AdBlock off but I still don't see any links so idk.)

7. ton247

Reputations:
    Okay, I think I fixed it. Removed an extension (was only 1 installed and it wasn't Text Enhance, the company responsible for the advertisements).

8. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    It does it inconsistently. Right now, it's not showing a blue link for the Sony Vaio; an hour ago it was.

The link takes you to an NBR page with coupons for Sony Vaios, so I doubt it's something that Adblock would block. It seems to be part of NBR itself.

9. flipfire

flipfire Moderately Boss Super Moderator

Reputations:
    If you enter a specific notebook model, it will auto-link it to the NBR coupon page. As far as i can see there is no free ipad ads, you might have a hi-jacked browser or hosts file.

Use ad-block plus for your browser, its a must have add-on.

Also post a screenshot of the ad if you can

10. Hiker

Hiker Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I went to the Sony page and fund them They're almost like any other kind of link, don't see what the problem is.

LOL... "Sony" above has one with a dotted underline. None of the other Sony's on this page have it. Running Chrome with Ad block. Test: Sony Vaio Edit, nope just the 1st one I typed.

11. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Tangent: if everyone used adblock, banner ads would become useless. Ad-supported free sites would either shut down or they'd go to payment-based services. Would NBR even exist if nobody who browsed it ever saw or "clicked through" the banner ads it sells?

Adblock, while great for its users when a small minority of people use it, is a threat to the very idea of free websites and web forums if it becomes too popular. I don't doubt it's convenience, but I don't use it for policy reasons.

12. Hiker

Hiker Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Weird stuff. The link that was first created when I typed Sony in the post above is gone.

Wonder if this one will be created?

Edit: There it is!

13. Hiker

Hiker Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    OK, I clicked the Sony link in my post above, was brought to another page, came back here and now it's gone.

This is more intriguing than a nuisance.

14. Rubin S

Rubin S Newbie

Reputations:
    I think this thread is old, but if that can help anyone...

These annoying blue links are from FindRight. It's a program that gets downloaded on your computer from I-still-haven't-figured-out-where. Basically, if you put your mouse over the blue text, the ad appears. There is a small question mark ''?'' at the right bottom of the pop-up ad. Click on it. A page from FindRight will appear, giving some informations. Next to it is a 'Disable' link. Don't click on it, it's useless - it has no effect at all. Haha, instead, just go in your computer's control panel and disable the program ''Find Right''.