Good news for Latitude X1 owners!

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by ivar, Feb 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ivar

ivar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This possibility has been discussed here in another thread. Now I can tell you for sure: Yes, this notebook is able to run with 2GB RAM in spite of its specifications limiting it to 1280MB!

I have added 2GB PC2-5300 (not even PC2-4200 as specified) Hynix stick, and it works! The motherboard and Linux recognize only 2060MB of the overall 2300MB installed which seems to be the limitation of i915 chipset.

Now I will be able to happily run memory hungry virtual machines on my little fanless X1 lappy!

2. ivar

ivar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nobody is here to share my joy. :(

3. ValkyrieLenneth

ValkyrieLenneth Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think not many ppl are owning a X1 :(

4. nizzy1115

nizzy1115 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I think this was a given. The only reason it stated a max of 1gb was because the 2gb sticks didn't exist during the making of the laptop.

5. mofi

mofi Newbie

Reputations:
    feed it a nice samsung ssd drive :) toO :) (especially when they get cheeper)

I did a full reinstall of my stuff (windows os, 101 updates, office etc) in under 4 hours (including download time) .. the ssd drive doesn't seem to boot that fast - but the applications load very quick.

which flavor of linux do you run on it? (I've run knoppix off a disk but really never installed any on the latitude x1)

6. chrizel

chrizel Newbie

Reputations:
    hi,

I found this thread from Google. I wanna thank ivar for this confirmation. My beloved Latitude X1 got a little bit slow with heavy disk access because the 512 MB were limitied here with my Ubuntu installation. After I read this thread, I bought one 2 GB memory module: SO-DIMM 2048MB DDR2 PC2-5300 CL5 (667MHz)

Now, I can confirm it too. The Dell Latitude X1 works with this 2 GB memory module. I also have just ~2060 MB in the system, but that's ok.

I also saw that it's very easy to replace the HDD, so maybe I'll replace it with a SSD when they become cheaper. :)

thanks,
    chrizel

7. mofi

mofi Newbie

Reputations:
    installed the ssd (32 mb samsung) a few months back
    all you can hear is the processor (ocassionally) .. other than that completely silent.
    - x1 continues to be my favorite laptop even at 3years + prior refurbished life

eventually I'll try running a less intensive OS in the hope of slightly reducing heat output.

anyone find a less costly replacement for the x1 in the same weight class yet? (must have a 11 inch or larger screen, weigh under 2.6 lbs, fanless is a nice plus)

8. mthomp71

mthomp71 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I carry my X1 with my XPS1730 in the same bag!

9. crazyanz

crazyanz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    lol why carry two notebooks :p you could also just take pen and paper with you ;)

10. xpyes

xpyes Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    the latitude x1 is a classic, the closest I've found to it is the samsung Q45 (basically a reiteration of the original design) but the x1 feels so much nicer in terms of build quality and looks better too. dunno why dell replaced it with the boring D series - boo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.