1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Good news for Latitude X1 owners!

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by ivar, Feb 24, 2008.

1. ivar

ivar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This possibility has been discussed here in another thread. Now I can tell you for sure: Yes, this notebook is able to run with 2GB RAM in spite of its specifications limiting it to 1280MB!

I have added 2GB PC2-5300 (not even PC2-4200 as specified) Hynix stick, and it works! The motherboard and Linux recognize only 2060MB of the overall 2300MB installed which seems to be the limitation of i915 chipset.

Now I will be able to happily run memory hungry virtual machines on my little fanless X1 lappy!

2. ivar

ivar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nobody is here to share my joy. :(

3. ValkyrieLenneth

ValkyrieLenneth Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think not many ppl are owning a X1 :(

4. nizzy1115

nizzy1115 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I think this was a given. The only reason it stated a max of 1gb was because the 2gb sticks didn't exist during the making of the laptop.

5. mofi

mofi Newbie

Reputations:
    feed it a nice samsung ssd drive :) toO :) (especially when they get cheeper)

I did a full reinstall of my stuff (windows os, 101 updates, office etc) in under 4 hours (including download time) .. the ssd drive doesn't seem to boot that fast - but the applications load very quick.

which flavor of linux do you run on it? (I've run knoppix off a disk but really never installed any on the latitude x1)

6. chrizel

chrizel Newbie

Reputations:
    hi,

I found this thread from Google. I wanna thank ivar for this confirmation. My beloved Latitude X1 got a little bit slow with heavy disk access because the 512 MB were limitied here with my Ubuntu installation. After I read this thread, I bought one 2 GB memory module: SO-DIMM 2048MB DDR2 PC2-5300 CL5 (667MHz)

Now, I can confirm it too. The Dell Latitude X1 works with this 2 GB memory module. I also have just ~2060 MB in the system, but that's ok.

I also saw that it's very easy to replace the HDD, so maybe I'll replace it with a SSD when they become cheaper. :)

thanks,
    chrizel

7. mofi

mofi Newbie

Reputations:
    installed the ssd (32 mb samsung) a few months back
    all you can hear is the processor (ocassionally) .. other than that completely silent.
    - x1 continues to be my favorite laptop even at 3years + prior refurbished life

eventually I'll try running a less intensive OS in the hope of slightly reducing heat output.

anyone find a less costly replacement for the x1 in the same weight class yet? (must have a 11 inch or larger screen, weigh under 2.6 lbs, fanless is a nice plus)

8. mthomp71

mthomp71 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I carry my X1 with my XPS1730 in the same bag!

9. crazyanz

crazyanz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    lol why carry two notebooks :p you could also just take pen and paper with you ;)

10. xpyes

xpyes Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    the latitude x1 is a classic, the closest I've found to it is the samsung Q45 (basically a reiteration of the original design) but the x1 feels so much nicer in terms of build quality and looks better too. dunno why dell replaced it with the boring D series - boo

11. robgt

robgt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Never even seen a x1

12. Goonie

Goonie Newbie

Reputations:
    I just installed a 2 GB Module into my Dell X1 (BIOS A06). It does not boot up any more (black screen, no BIOS messages). Luckily, I could switch back to the old 1 GB module and everything works as before.

Now, can you (esp. ivar) state the exact specification (and/or part number) of the module that works? How many memory chips are on your module?

13. Forte

Forte NBR's Supreme Angel

Reputations:
    Make sure your RAM is PC4200 DDR2 SODIMM instead of the PC5300 just to be safe. Make sure it is Unbuffered.

Just for good measure, this is what a Latitude X1 looks like for everyone who doesn't what what it looks like:

[​IMG]

14. Goonie

Goonie Newbie

Reputations:
    I finally aquired a Transcend 2 GB module and this one works! By looking at the modules, the one that does not work has 8 chips on it and the Transcend has 16. The 1 GB original Dell module (Samsung) also has 16 chips. Is this coincidence?

15. ivar

ivar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Good news again! Disk upgrade possible!

I was able to upgrade 1.8" Toshiba hard disk in Latitude X1 to a better (cooler and faster) newest 120GB Samsung 1.8" hard disk.

The trick is that instead of micro-ATA connector, newer1.8" hard disks use ZIF connector.

The good news is that you can 1) purchase a fitting 1.8" IDE to ZIF adapter, 2) there is enough space to fit it into the notebook interior together with the hard disk. The only drawback (hardly noticeble) is that
    a part of your keyboard aroud letter "P" will be 1mm higher than it should. It is really no problem at all (I am very sensible myself to keyboard issues).

I can provide more details if someone is interested. It actually took me quite some time to find out how to make the latest higher volume 1.8" HDDs to work with Latitude X1.

16. ivar

ivar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My X1 works with PC5300 DDR2 SODIMM . PC4200 2GB sticks are just too difficult to get.

17. ivar

ivar Notebook Deity

Reputations:

I have updated my BIOS to A06 after having installed 2GB RAM module.
    Hope you've solved your problem (so that I don't have to open my beloved lappy just to see how many chips are on my RAM stick, I am not sure it matters).

18. vitaman

vitaman Newbie

Reputations:
    I would like the details of how you put in the 120 GB hard drive.

19. ivar

ivar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Please PM me if you are still interested.

I am just too busy and lazy to write a HOWTO unless there is a particular interest.

20. hendrimp

hendrimp Newbie

Reputations:
    I would be very interested in how you installed the 120gb drive. For some reason I can't PM you, though.