Good laptop for writing

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by amazingdave5, Sep 6, 2017.

1. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Perhaps on the 12-inch MacBook and current MacBook Pro (haven't used either for an extended duration), but the Air still uses the older style keyboard with longer travel.

Aroc likes this.
  2. Fluffyfurball

Fluffyfurball Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Before you buy any laptop check out the manufacturer community forum(s) for the particular laptop that you may be interested in. If the laptop has issues most of the complaints may be ventilated there. Yes, I learned this the hard way.

3. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    While I do agree with @Fluffyfurball and I could have saved myself a headache that way. Keep in mind that a LOT, and I mean a LOT, of uneducated people post there and blame the company for user error. For example, there was a user blaming Asus that he hadn't installed the Nvidia drivers on his own OS install (this was when I was buying the GL502). So be mindful of that.

Fluffyfurball likes this.
  4. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    And don't forget that most people will take to the Internet to complain about a product rather than sing its praises.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fluffyfurball and don_svetlio like this.
  5. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Some probably will and some won't, but it's hard to say which at this point. My guess would be when the new gen hits, you'll see a few models, but most. particularly business class notebooks where the large institutional buyers who drive the design choices demand low cost and compatibility over the latest and greatest, will not come out right away. I'd guess next Spring at the earliest.

6. Johnson Mike

Johnson Mike Newbie

Reputations:
    I would recommend the Dell XPS 13. Although, it doesn't have the best keyboard you can get, still it's far more better than the butterfly switches on MacBook Pro. I have used both 2017 MacBook Pro and Dell XPS 13. I would recommend XPS to you. XPS line up is soon going to get upgraded with 8th Gen Intel CPUs. So, you can expect the discounts on kaby lake models in few upcoming weeks.

7. lovelaptops

lovelaptops MY FRIENDS CALL ME JEFF!

Reputations:
    The major problem with this for the OP is that he said he doesn't want a webcam at the bottom of the screen which the XPS13 has. While on the topic, I owned 2 XPS 13s, loved much about them but both had hdwe and major software defects and I gave up. I've come to swear by business class notebooks and among them Thinkpads are my first choice. Good advice above to check the user reports of specific models as Lenovo has become very spotty with quality even within the Thinkpad line. The X1 is likely to be too pricey for you, but it's a great machine. I agree that the 470s is another great option. I've owned several TP Yogas and loved them all and borrowed a friend's 460s for a few weeks and it was screaming fast, superb keyboard. Watch out for both screen quality and battery life on TPs; again, there is distressing variation from model to model, even year to year. Their screens are probably their weakest suits overall, but plenty are fine, particularly 1080p IPS models from the past 2 years. I use notebookcheck.net as my bible for checking out specific models.

8. tesm1th

tesm1th Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I feel that Swift 5 Kaby Lake is the most almost-perfect consumer laptops by Acer.

Battery size is decent, but great job in efficiency and battery life. Good thermal cooling, with optimized external thermals. But build quality is a bit doubtful
    (not to be confused with new Swift 5 design w/ CFL)