Good laptop for writing

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by amazingdave5, Sep 6, 2017.

1. amazingdave5

amazingdave5 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    After an ongoing argument with HP, I am getting a refund for $1500 for my spectre X360 15 inch. I guess the good news is that I can get a new laptop with an 8th gen processor (although that's not critical). I also want to take the chance to get something smaller and lighter. I don't find myself using the gimmicky features like touch screen and tablet mode, anyway. I also don't think the discrete graphics have benefited me. I really just want something light and comfortable to type on that doesn't get hot and that I can use in the evening to watch videos. I'm kind of considering getting something less expensive and getting a monitor keyboard and mouse for when I work at home.

EDIT: forgot to mention, I strongly prefer the webcam be at the top rather than the bottom of the screen.

1) What is your budget? $1500ish

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

I've always had 15" laptops, but I'm back in school for a PhD and lugging around a 15" is bothering me more than it used to. I think 14" might be a nice sweet spot, but 13" would be OK, too.
    3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    Canada

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Open to any
    b. Dislike: HP
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

I use the laptop for school, but nothing too computationally taxing. I usually have around a dozen chrome tabs open, excel, word, etc. Most important is probably that it have a really good keyboard, but a good trackpad is a must, too. I also use my laptop to watch netflix, youtube, etc. I want something that can handle that without getting too hot.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Yes, I will be hauling it around daily. Light would be great, but I don't want to sacrifice too much, can't get super hot, can't have bad keyboard, good keyboard is top priority.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    Unlikely

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    6 would be great, but I'm usually at a desk where I can plug in, so battery life isn't super important to me.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Don't need to see

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Win 10

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)

1080p is fine. I prefer matte. I could go either way on 4k and touch.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)

matte

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Yes, I like Lenovo's style. It's important to me that it looks nice and professional.

15) When are you buying this laptop?
    ASAP

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    4 years

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    I want an ssd 256 gigs would do

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
    no

2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    How about a 13-inch MacBook Air? Good keyboard and webcam, amazing trackpad and battery life.

Aroc and Fluffyfurball like this.
  3. amazingdave5

Reputations:
    Hmm. I hadn't even considered apple. looks like with education discount it's actually comparable cost-wise to PCs, and free Beats headphones.

4. tesm1th

tesm1th Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Acer Swift 5 seem tactile despite its short travel.
    Maybe you need to try out yourself hands-on?
    Acer Aspire S13 is similar but with 13 inch semi-matte touch screen, battery capacity differs though

5. Starlight5

Starlight5 I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

Reputations:
    @amazingdave5 consider Thinkpad Yoga 370. Great keyboard, great battery life - but also has pen&touch input and can rotate itself into tablet or stand to make viewing videos more comfortable. It does not have a matte screen protector factory-installed like previous models, though - so you'll have to do it yourself if you decide to get it.

6. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    a ThinkPad or EliteBook is optimal if you really value a good keyboard. The MacBook keyboards are fine for short typing sprees but anything prolonged feels uncomfortable. As for the Acer Swift 5, the centre of the keyboard gives in causing parts of it to feel very mushy.

7. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I'd vote for the T470s. It's a bit thicker than the X1 Carbon, which for allows for more key travel, but still light at sub three pounds. If you want to go budget, I've heard good things about the ThinkPad 13, though I've not seen it myself.

The problem with a touch screen is glare due to the glass used for the touch surface, so it won't be like a matte screen.

Aroc, Fluffyfurball and don_svetlio like this.
  8. amazingdave5

Reputations:
    Thanks, I haven't ever had a chance to compare the X1 and T470s, so I didn't know about the difference in keyboard. Do you know id either is slated to get the 8th generation quad-core processor upgrade? I guess it won't make a lot of difference for my purposes, but I hate to buy stuff when the next best thing is right around the corner.

9. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The latest and greatest usually costs more money for little tangible benefit. Perhaps you should focus on that fact?

Starlight5 likes this.
  10. amazingdave5

Reputations:
    Fair enough, but even in that case, if there is an 8th gen refresh and I can resist the temptation, then the current model would probably get discounted, right?