Good laptop for streaming console gameplay and Video editing.

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by SageKasady, Jan 22, 2019.

1. SageKasady

SageKasady Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, Im basically looking for a laptop for editing youtube videos, streaming ps4/xbox gameplay to twitch/youtube with good thermals that won't overheat. Do not care about PC gaming at all but I guess I would need a decent GPU for faster video editing/rendering? Thanks in advance for all your help.

1) What is your budget? $1700 can possibly go up to $2000

2) What size notebook would you prefer? 15'

3) Which country will you buying this notebook? USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Dell, Razer but any brand would be fine as long as it has good performance/cooling
    b. Dislike: None
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? no

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? Mostly video editing(possible 4k footage in the future) and Streaming gameplay to twitch, Youtube etc from ps4/XboxOne X.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? Mostly will be home but will take on the go occasionally.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?) Maybe a few games like PUBG but I don't really care about PC gaming so thats not important to me at all.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? 3 + is fine

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? buying online is fine

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.) 1080p is fine. Will mostly be on external monitor but having 144hz refresh rate would be nice but not a deal breaker.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.) Don't care

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? former Mac user so I definitely prefer a stylish machine but at the end of the day performance comes first.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need? would like a combo drive if possible

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop? within the next month

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop? 5 yrs

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail? I would like a quick replacement

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage? shipping would be fine.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  2. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I would recommend the new Dell G5/G7 laptops with the new Nvidia RTX cards.
    I would stay away from Alienware (poor cooling) and Razer (poor quality control). Amazon stoped selling Razer laptops due to their poor quality control on their latest models. However, the new Razer laptops have no inherit design flaws, so if you are lucky to get one which is issue free, you will probably be somewhat happy with it.

3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I think @Raidriar got a Razer blade for cheap and didn't pass it up.

4. SageKasady

SageKasady Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the quick replies. I was looking into the G7. How’s the cooling/thermals

5. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    I got my RBP 7700/1060 for 800$, I don’t regret it at all and after using some liquid ultra and an undervolt, it stays under 70 max GPU and CPU load. It makes an excellent portable workstation.

I got my RB 6700/1060 for free since my friend needed a reliable machine and he gave me his broken one, which I repaired. Stupid model that never shuts off its CPU fan even if the temp is under 30C lol.

All in all, I only recommend Razer Blade if you can find one for super cheap, there is no way in hell id pay full retail price for one because the factory QC is atrocious. Battery bloat problems, chargers that buzz and stop working, backlight bleed, poor thermal compound, etc. My RBP was lucky to have just one of these problems.

Vasudev likes this.
  6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That's a great price for RB.

7. amirbahalegharn

amirbahalegharn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    check these things out too,much better CPU ,so video editing(export,encoding,etc..) is much faster:
    N950tp6 :
    https://www.amazon.com/N950VR-i7-8700-i9-8950HK-Notebook-Computer/dp/B079N77LMM?th=1
    the newer version N960tp6 is also going to be released(probably with rtx2060 too) in current week:
    https://noteb.com/?model/model.php?conf=4303640344008307301_2265&ex=USD

the cpu's with proper delid+repaste+etc could go all to 9900K(although that particular cpu will throttle but still outperform anything else,so throttling isn't that very meaningful here).
    for battery ,I recommend you buy a 42000mah powerbank with 220W two outlet:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/110...-Energy-Storage-Power-Supply/32892647380.html