Good job with your new health care, Ontario

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by sgogeta4, May 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sgogeta4

sgogeta4 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  2. HopelesslyFaithful

HopelesslyFaithful Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    damn straight my man. Ever have TRICARE or naval medicine.....worse HMO ever...I can't wait for my wife to get a job and I can get some good PPO action.

3. Thaenatos

Thaenatos Zero Cool

Reputations:
    But all the social medicine supports down here say yall have the best healthcare and we should be happy with what we might get...:screwy:

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

4. DR650SE

DR650SE The Whiskey Barracuda

Reputations:
    Man, I've maxed my deductible on my health insurance this year since my wife has had 5 hospital stays due to the pregnancy. 4 of them were over a week. Got another bill for her 4th stay yesterday. Total damage? $43K :eek: Since I've already spent close to my deductible, I only owed like $137 for it. Still though I pay a lot for the insurance with each paycheck.

But if doctors are facing wage cuts, thats going to be bad for everyone.

5. pmassey31545

pmassey31545 Whats the mission sir?

Reputations:
    Healthcare is a rip off either way. I like DR650SE have healthcare. Yet I feel I am taken advantage of becuase I do. Example: What does Joe Blow have to pay if he goes to the ER for a broken arm? If he isn't covered-nothing. Then I get charged an exhorbitant amount becuase he didn't pay, and never will.

My son had an ACL reconstruction a few months ago. Took a little over an hour. $24,937!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So you're telling me that doctor is worth $20000 an hour????? That is after the prep fees, and meds, and wraps, and nurses, etc. Overcharging is the problem. They over charge us-The ones that WILL pay-bc the others never do. So I contacted to center that did the procedure to make sure it was right. The lady told me yes, the anount is correct. But the insurer will never pay that because we have an agreement with them. It will be waaaaay less.

Which tells me they are for sure overcharging to get what they can.

RIPOFF!!!!!!!!!!

6. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    The problem with overcharging is that the health industry is expecting you to pass off the charges to your insurance agency, who will gladly pay up $xxxxxxxxx for your visit. However, this screws up both people who aren't covered (non-ER situations) and people who are covered (like pmassey31545). Why can't we just have a flat rate for everything, a la carte? (Of course, insurance lobbyists wouldn't like that).

As for my situation, I'm usually either on Medicare or I have no insurance whatsoever (right now, the latter), depending on if my dad wants to act like a father or not (not). Outside of ER situations, I tend to take care of myself for the most part, but sometimes I do have to go visit a doctor for something I know I won't be able to handle. In those cases, I either have to 1) go to the college's health clinic, or 2) wait until I'm back at college to go to said clinic. University charges a tiny health fee to students (maybe $11 for a year or something?) and we can have free visits to the clinic.

It's an okay solution, but there's still the problem of ER care and medicines. Even generics are too freakin' expensive! $70 for a tiny (few mL) bottle of generic anti-biotic eyedroppers? Really? I'd rather cut dubious spending (like the F-35) and spend it on something that could actually help us (like a fund to cover uninsured ER visits, and eventually medicine as well).

----------

I have a feeling that mods will close this thread soon though >.>

7. masterchef341

masterchef341 The guy from The Notebook

Reputations:
    To be fair, this thread is 100% political, and doesn't even make an attempt to hide it. It doesn't belong here.

8. talin

talin Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That's fine, let them retire. Doctors are grossly over paid, and guess where that cost gets passed down? To the patient.

9. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Who pays for malpractice insurance and their years in medical school then? Much of what a doctor is paid in salary is diverted to these two bills, so I can't say that *most* doctors are grossly overpaid.

10. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    While I might have something to add to this topic, I'll do it somewhere else and so will everyone else. Move along... :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.