Good anti-virus ?

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by feroztier, Jan 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baserk

Baserk Notebook user

Reputations:
    ^+1.
    NIS/NAV have indeed been completely rewritten and offer strong detection.
    F.i. SONAR and Pulse Updates have made quite a difference.
    Because of some quirks like the 'can't-be-stopped-idle-scan', I'm not their biggest fan but when choosing a paid-for AV/suite, Norton's products aren't bad at all.
    I would opt for a different strategy then just using an AV or suite but when spending money and looking for 'easy' protection, NAV/NIS are certainly valid options.

2. pengy_666

pengy_666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have used 2010/11 editions of NAV on machines running XP and Vista and NAV majorly restrict the usage of the machine as it is sapping so much of the little resources the old machines have.

Most users don't use their machines properly. They don't tidy up and have far too many desktop icons and their machines are old and not physically cleaned chuck in a copy of NAV and it can take up to 2 minutes before the machine will respond. This is what I have based my opinion on. I usually have to uninstall NAV to start the clean up process as it is crippling it.

So the 2009 rewrite is great for newer machines. No good for older machines.

I'm sorry if I'm keeping a simple thread going but I wanted to highlight specifically what I was basing my opinion on. This way it will give the OP fair and useful information.

3. singkuy

singkuy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi guys. initially i was using avast then after reading the mse and malware bytes post here i decided to give it a try. Then i decided to switch back to avast. I installed avast with mse and malware still on and it caused some problems which i fixed by uninstalling avast in safe mode. I restarted then proceeded to normal mode. uninstalled mse and malware then proceeded to install avast. done with updtaing and all. thing is now it takes a considerably longer time for my computer to load, about 10-20 seconds longer. the extra load time occurs between after my password input and getting to my desktop. any ideas on what's causing this and any possible solutions.

I will also try looking for a more appropriate thread but since people here recommended the following software they may also have some insight on what's causing these problems

4. Baserk

Baserk Notebook user

Reputations:
    Installing Avast while MSE was still running might have caused your current issue.
    I would use the Avast uninstaller which you can find here; link.
    Follow the steps on that page, reboot and only then install avast again.

It's also possible that the folder having info on your installed AV is messed up.
    If uninstalling/re-installing avast doesn't work, then follow the steps from this post; link (note; instructions are for Vista/Win7-32 bit)

5. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon

Reputations:
    My NAV/NIS 2009-2011 experiences are based on running it, at various times, on my Core 2 Duo T500, a Pentium D (NetBurst) 2.66GHz desktop, a Celeron M 3.8GHz (NetBurst) desktop, and and my AMD Turion 64 1.6GHz Averatec. My T500 is the only one of these that had more than 1.5 GB of RAM.

If the NetBurst machines and my Averatec could run NAV/NIS with no noticeable detriment to performance, I doubt there would be significant performance impacts on any more recent machine.

6. pengy_666

pengy_666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm afraid I strongly disagree.

It isn't coincidence every machine I have ever used with NAV is having troubles that disappear as soon as NAV is un-installed.

It may not have been the case for you. I don't and will not use NAV or any other AV. No cause to in the last 12+ years.

7. joeyboy

joeyboy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think comodo is the best thats what personally use Anti Virus Software Reviews Its all-ways best to use a combo of software if they complement one another you can read about that here if you have a min, Computer Security Software Represented By A Top Antivirus Software >>> Top Antivirus Software

Few pointers that might help you with your AV Choice

Why Do People Love Comodo? 96% People Do (1,763 opinions)

(most loved AV in the world with 96%)

Results and comments - www.matousec.com

(really the only viable AV for 64bit computers as none of the others seems to have self defense against malware)
    the only free Internet Security, free and works!

8. joeyboy

joeyboy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    COMODO COMODO COMODO +1 million That's what I would use :) (most loved AV in the world with 96%)Comodo Internet Security Complete 2012
    Includes Firewall, Antivirus & GeekBuddy never a problem opps double posted mod please edit :)

9. harrypoker

harrypoker Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    yes, you're right. Comodo is champion

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.