Godzilla turns 25

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by KLF, Aug 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
  2. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Yup, the first ones are already being imported into the US. Started 29/29 races, won every single one of them, a feat NO other car has been able to match. While Honda and Mazda took chassis design/suspension considerations towards handling and fast lap times, Nissan used technology...and prevailed all the way til Japan's gentlemen agreement handcuffed JDMs and the eventual creation of other AWD machines to combat the Skyline on the touge/track days (Mitsubishi Evo, Subaru's Impreza WRX STI). Still to this day, Skylines are still dominant in overall lap times for tuner cars, the chassis has incredible potential, as does the powerplant. And in general, 90's Japanese "super cars" eventually made the whole market better, Ferrari, Porsches, all changed because of the Japanese juggernauts (Mazda RX-7, Toyota Supra, Nissan Skyline, Honda NSX). So any modern Porsche or Ferrari enthusiast can thank Japan for what those super cars are today.

3. Qing Dao

Qing Dao LORD OF THE UNDERWORLD

Reputations:
    Aren't there many limitations on cars registered as "classics?"

4. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    I think that mostly goes by where you live. In Maryland, I could register an R32 Skyline as a historic car, but it has severe limitations on mileage can be driven a year. I'm unsure of Finland's rules on it. I would love to import a Skyline, I heard Japan has limitations on the mileage on the engine, which would explain the mass amounts of JDM engine from their sports cars.

5. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Historic/Classic is called here literally museum registration and to achieve that car/motorcycle has to be 30 years old, in original/restored condition with detailed file describing how restoration was done. They are allowed to drive 30 days/year but enjoy significantly lower insurance and other costs.

We have had Skylines around here for a few years already. Importing used cars wasn't sane before, because they would carry same tax as if the car was new. Roughly 10 years ago that system was revised and tax carried would be compared to similar car's current aftermarket value, around same time some costly emissions tests and other requirements were lifted or loosened. That effectively opened doors to all kinds of older exotics and general importing of cars. Both JDM and other previously too expensive to import cars (Skyline, EVO, RS6). And lots of regular cars.

Single turbo R32 Skylines apparently start around 6k EUR here, up to 40k - old Best Motoring track car. There used to be bit more info in that ad :) No R34 GTR for sale at the moment, couple GT-T.

25 years is a limit where the tax is absolute minimum. Example: 1983 911 tax 900EUR, 1990 911 tax 9000EUR (roughly 1/3 of current price 27k used). A new 911 costs 98k EUR, add tax 47k for total of 145k EUR... Before that revision, both old cars would have had that ~47k or so tax added to the price. Considering that such old 911 is still around 13-20k in Germany still I'd rather put my eyes on good condition 944 or similar... :p They are couple grand and a lot of car for the money.