Gobi WWAN card for CF-W8?

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by theoak2, Mar 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theoak2

theoak2 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The non-WWAN W8 has a simcard slot built into the lid. Does anyone know if there are antennas already in the non-WWAN W8? or which Gobi WWAN card the CF-W8 uses? Is it easy to get to without completely disassembling the laptop?

2. db04p71

db04p71 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The WWAN card fits in the lid under the rectangular cover where the SIM card slot is. The antenna are also under that cover. If it is like the CF-T5, open the SIM cover and remove the 2 screws. On the LCD side remove the 2 rubber bumpers at the top of the screen. There is a screw under each bumper. Remove them and then remove the rectangular cover. There are 2 dip switches to set. There is a diagram showing settings for WWAN1, WWAN2 and WWAN3. I don't know the proper setting for the Gobi card but, it shouldn't be hard to figure out.

I installed a Novatel EU860D in my CF-T5. There was no diagram for the switches. I found that either 1-on, 2-off or 1-off, 2-on would show WWAN in the BIOS. I used the Mobilink 3 software from the Panasonic Canada site to install on Windows 7. It also updates the firmware to allow connections at 7.2 mbps. The software is not available on the US site.

https://panasonic.ca/PCS/Software/MobiLink3_v3.00.21.005.zip

3. theoak2

Reputations:
    Thank you for the info. Also, I got impatient, and removed those screws already. Here are a couple pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wow! These pics are too big!! Must google for resizing tags. Couldn't find working tags, so I just resized the images. Sorry for the enormous images.

4. theoak2

Reputations:
    If the Gobi2000 works, it also has GPS. Does any one know if any devices are blacklisted in the BIOS?

5. capt.dogfish

capt.dogfish The Curmudgeon

Reputations:
    I believe Panasonic has a habit of disabling GPS in their Gobis.
    CAP

6. kingstu

kingstu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is GPS disabled in their cards or is there just no software that takes advantage of it? I have GPS available in my Panasonic GOBI 2000 as well as the internal GPS but I used the generic WWAN GOBI software from the canada site once I got it activated. It also allows SMS/MMS from the sim.

7. tnatna

tnatna Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi i tried installing a sierra wireless wwan card with the necessary drivers and cables and switches as indicated after i remove the cover for wwan but somehow the laptop does not detect the wireless card and does not show in the bios. any idea what i might have missed out? thanks!

8. Carlos Velandia

Carlos Velandia Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a new W8 and want to install also the GOBI WWAN. Have you figured it out?

Thanks

Carlos

9. Carlos Velandia

Carlos Velandia Newbie

Reputations:
  10. Rob

Rob Toughbook Aficionado

Reputations:
    You guys realize that this part is available directly from Heartland for $132 right?

GOBI 2000 Card – 1100984 - $132.12

Why would you spend $230 for it???!?! I bought one and popped it in my CF-31 and it worked just dandy! Also the BIOS is locked out so you can't just pop any card in and go. You have to download the special program and re-write the BIOS for GOBI support :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.