Gobi Enabled WWAN and GPS

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by kingstu, Aug 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob

Rob Toughbook Aficionado

Reputations:
    I thought thats how it was, but I didn't wanna say anthing since i don't know much about it lol

2. Rob

Rob Toughbook Aficionado

Reputations:
  3. kingstu

kingstu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Gobi appears to be the latest, greatest thing in 3G. Lenovo, HP, Dell, Fujitsu as well as Panasonic will be using it. So it appears to be taking on wi-max and all those laptops will be getting internal GPS thrown in the mix. But Panasonic has some announcements coming up this week as well.

4. Rob

Rob Toughbook Aficionado

Reputations:
    They never mention GPS in regards to the "tough" HP that was on Engadget though... I think the GPS is optional/add-in, which for Panasonic, that would be just the same as before because Panasonic is one of the VERY FEW company's that offer internal GPS.

5. kingstu

Reputations:
    The GPS is a feature of GOBI and they mention it in the Lenovo and the Dell laptops with that minicard. Maybe HP doesn't give that but if you notice, stand alone GPS is not offered on the configurator for the CF-30 or the CF-19 anymore.

6. kingstu

Reputations:
    Press releases indicate that Gobi has been certified for Verizon and AT&T 3G networks and soon Sprint. It will be available in October. The mention of new Toughbook models has been removed from the FAQ. I wonder what the F8 will be...

7. Rob

Rob Toughbook Aficionado

Reputations:
  8. manikhispanik

manikhispanik Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    alright guys after a pnumonia hiatis im back...and am also a Gobi 1 Kanobi 'ist thing type person..anyways for now Gobi is major wirelss friendly, SPRINT, ALLTEL, VERIZON, AT&T. Sub carriers ie Metro PCS are involved in the Sprint Network and will support Gobi. My friends Gobi is the new way to total wirelss living and soon will be as common in laptops and our beloved TOUGHBOOKS as WiFi. For now i have a CF-29 and recntly contacted Pana about Gobi...GOOD NEWS...Pana WILL, WILL, (one more time) WILL, retro fit CF-29's with the new Gobi chip/card!!! But be prepared to fork up the $$$...expensive enough to say ouch but still cheaper than a CF-30!

9. Mil3

Mil3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is Gobi = WiMAX? if not then WiMAX is better -- 4G network :eek: . May be the same price too. But you'll need the PCMCIA card or internal pc card, I think intel has them. I think its IEEE 802.16.

10. pappy42

pappy42 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    manik, did you get a quote on the Gobi for the 29? Does it include gps?