Gobi 2000 WAN Unlock Solution - tested & works new Z win7 64bit Pro

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by TG2500, Jul 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TG2500

TG2500 Newbie

Reputations:
    I have new VPCZ1 - upgraded from TT and my 5th SONY in as many years. Travel internationally for long stretches and, while I'm happy to have and use Verizon WWAN in the USA, I needed the ability to use a local SIM when I am outside the USA and in a non-CDMA area. New Z came with SIM card slot so no soldering required. Spent the last several days scouring the forums for a way to use my AT&T or another GSM SIM in the laptop without a lot of hassle and, after a lot of testing and playing, the solution was actually quite easy and elegant.

Found this link on an international Thinkpad forum and modified the instructions to work on the Z:

1. Download and unpack Sony OneClick Intenet from ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/VAIO/Or...ric_ENU_1.x_32bit_64bit_E_1.0_1.0.0.1_ENU.zip
    2. Edit config.ini - change InstallSilent to 0 (so you can watch the install, select language, etc.)
    3. Install it.
    4. Run OneClick Internet and, first thing, choose the update option and let it download and install v3.1 of OneClick Internet
    5. Reboot.
    6. Use SmartWII to turn on WWAN modem.
    7. Instead of VZW Manager, use OneClick Internet to manage your connections.
    8. For VZW, go to settings, firmware, select Verizon and let it update the firmware then connect.
    9. For AT&T, go to settings, firmware, select AT&T and let it update the firmware then connect (be sure you have an AT&T SIM in the slot that's already authorized for a WAN connection).
    10. For other GSM network that isn't listed as one of the choices (also has pre-configured settings for Vodafone and a few others), go to settings, firmware, Generic UMTS, let it update the firmware then, under profiles, create a profile with your local apn, username/PW, save the profile so you have it for future use, then connect.

The OneClick Internet automatically reloads the new firmware each time you make a change to a different provider/network and also manages the connection.

I couldn't find a new copy of v3.1 but the one from the link above installs and older version which you can update (the older version crashes a lot under win7 and didn't work consistently).

I didn't make any hardware changes or download any other drivers/software. Everything else was as the Z came out of the box.

If you like VZW connection manager you can even continue to use that when you have the modem set-up for Verizon - it works fine.

Interestingly, I called Verizon International Data support before I did all this hunting on the web and asked for an unlock code as I said I would be away out of the US for extended periods of time and needed a local provider for WWAN access. They were very nice and told me the modem really wasn't "locked" as the new GOBI can load firmware as needed - just the VZW only supported the SONY/VZW manager software provided and I would have to search elsewhere to find a program that would allow loading/unloading of different firmwares which the OneClick seems to do quite nicely.

I wish Sony just offered this up-front for the new machines with the GOBI 2000 and onboard SIM card holder. Others, like DELL, let you easily reconfigure the GOBI to use whatever provider you want (as, it appears, does SONY outside the US as the program on the link comes from SONY).

That said, after a lot of searching and testing, it was an easy software solution that let's you keep your machine and current software intact and also opens the modem up to other carriers!

Let me know if you have any feedback or this does/doesn't work for others.

2. blue13x

blue13x Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Whoah, the is amazing info that I think everyone should know.
    That software is officially from sony?

3. rmcx

rmcx Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Starts up and then bombs out. Is the 3.1 version directly accessible???

4. JarnabyBones

JarnabyBones Newbie

Reputations:
  5. ng12345

ng12345 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i tried jarnaby's link; but on install it puts up a license agreement but the accept button is obscured by the textbook; anyone know the shortcut to get rid of the screen (tried enter and ctrl+ variety of letters)

6. jimmyego

jimmyego Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Stupid question - does the WebToGo program supersede the OneClick program or are they two different things?

edit: nvm, I see its the same thing ;)

7. phoenixzzz

phoenixzzz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Two questions:
    1. Is gps always accessible in gobi 200?
    2. Did you have to sign VZW contract upon receiving the laptop and is it possible not to activate it at all?

8. TofuTurkey

TofuTurkey Married a Champagne Mango

Reputations:
    You found the thread I was looking for! As a token of appreciation, here's a cookie for you:

[​IMG]

You can click on the textbox, then Tab twice, Enter. Are you using FHD with 125% DPI?

1. I believe so, the WWAN doesn't have to be active.
    2. Don't know. I would guess not, but someone else needs to confirm...

9. ng12345

ng12345 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    this program must not be the right one for my computer

i dont have full hd ; i have 1600x900; all the menus and text boxes are messed up

10. phoenixzzz

phoenixzzz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've just called both Verizon and Sony support lines and got some more info. We don't have to sign a contract if we receive the modem not from Verizon directly (if we order it in a pre-configured Vaio laptop for example).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.