GL960 Chipset Processor Upgradability

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by michacerboy, Jan 25, 2008.

1. sek0ner

sek0ner Newbie

Reputations:
    I can only set passwords,bios language and then some kind of HDD,memory and startup diagnostics. Nothing interesting in there. So, what's left now?

2. darnok44

darnok44 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I dig up on bios mod forum that this laptop use some old style bios which can be edit using ADDC tool. Off course it can't be found anywhere. So there's no way to try check cpu microcodes. It all depend how much money You want to throw on this. First You would have to buy 533MHz memory which are hard to find those days and next buy some Penryn based cpu, but like I said there's no guaranties that this will work. And not just any Penryn based processor, one of this: T8100, T8300, T9300, T9500, because those are early ones which have greater chance to work. There are cheaper and in my opinion better value: price to performance, Penryn based cpu: T6400, T6500, T6600, but those are stepping R0, which was released about year after mentioned before and might require even newer microcode.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  3. sek0ner

sek0ner Newbie

Reputations:
    I checked these CPU's, some of them are BGA and not PGA. I suppose that my choice has to be 479 PGA, right?

4. darnok44

darnok44 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Off course, back i the days there were ass well BGA version of some processors but You are after PGA.

sek0ner likes this.
  5. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    For FSB it's easiest to google 'cpu + datasheet' and use the pdf to find out which pin or pins to short. Made a quick image for reference:

[​IMG]

For the PLL trial+error usually works, but you could also look for it on the board; it should be close to the northbridge.

6. smee12

smee12 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, now i have t7500 and today i found t8300 for 4$ . Is worth upgrade?

7. arti74

arti74 Newbie

Reputations:
    Get T9300 - it works for me and I have compaq 610 gl960. Before I upgraded this cpu from the default celeron 560, the two memories I have worked without any issue: one the 4gb ddr 6400 and second 1gb ddr 5300 - so together 5gb of ram. I have also several 2gb sticks, but no combination 4gb +2gb had worked for me (even with 2gb 4200 ram).
    Now only 3gb works without any problems, although when I give these 4+1gb ram (or just one 4gb stick alone) and first start windows in the safe mode and then restart to the normal mode, it works..
    How is that it works after reboot, but when I turn off the laptop and then back on, I get a black screen in the normal mode startup? Any software solution for this?
    Now I'll buy another ram - 1gb of ddr-533 and see if that helps.
    Thanks for this thread.

8. arti74

arti74 Newbie

Reputations:
    I just want to confirm that now, with the 1gb 4200 memory, my system is runing overall 5gb without any graphical issue. I believe it's max for this Compaq 610. And of course with the T9300 processor.

9. kit0001

kit0001 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Your experience for me is very valuable. Write please what memory view (parameters) you have in the RAM version (4 + 1) with T9300, at which all works without problems?
    It's important for me.
    Preferably Screenshot.

10. sek0ner

sek0ner Newbie

Reputations:
    FOR REAL? ? ? ? 4GB+1? on what frequency??
    Update: I just noticed you've written them above. But..wow!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018