GL960 Chipset Processor Upgradability

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by michacerboy, Jan 25, 2008.

1. DylRicho

DylRicho Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Awesome, thank you. Is there any chance you could run Speccy, and display the system memory tab? I'd like to get the exact SKU number for this module.

2. Reiph

Reiph Newbie

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

DylRicho likes this.
  3. Reiph

Reiph Newbie

Reputations:
  4. DylRicho

Reputations:
    Awesome. Thank you for the link. I will update my site to reflect your findings. :)

5 GiB seems like an odd number to support, but it's pretty interesting nonetheless. I wonder if this applies to all other systems using this modified GL960 chipset.

5. sek0ner

sek0ner Newbie

Reputations:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]Hi there, I've read almost of this post's comments, but i haven't seen anyone talking about hp compaq 610. Does anyone know if this old lad can get a better CPU than this Celeron? Also, I cannot figure out whether max memory is 2 or 4 gigs (HP's specs say that 2Gb is max!) though it has one free slot and the other one loaded with a 2gb stick. I also want to mention that graphics is Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family.
    I've upgraded to a Samsung EVO 850 but it's still slow even for 2 browsing tabs, so i cannot imagine using MS Word or Powerpoint...
    Thanks in advance.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  6. DylRicho

Reputations:
    Hello Sek0ner. Welcome to the forum. :)

Just looking through the official documentation for your machine, I can see that it comes with three chipset options; GLE960, GME965 and PM965. If your laptop contains integrated Intel GMA X3100 graphics, then it's safe to disregard the PM965 chipset. Unfortunately, due to the three chipset options and lack of information provided by HP, it's unknown which chipsets support what processors in the list. As such, this will become a trial-and-error game.

I wouldn't automatically assume greater than 2 GiB simply because of the number of memory slots. It's entirely possible that each slot can only accept 1 GiB maximum, or in your case, a maximum of 2 GiB in either slot and therefore the other becomes unusable.

But what I think is more likely, is a 3 GiB limit. It's unknown at this time whether there is a difference between the B1 and B2 steppings of the chipset for memory support. So far, I've seen success on both sides with regards to the processor, but to varying degrees. B2 variants have usually supported Penryn microcode in the BIOS, while B1 variants have not, but do support Merom.

Should you want to try 3 GiB, the memory controller inside all GM965-derived chipsets will be limited to DDR2-667 at most. You can use DDR2-800, but the controller will underclock it to DDR2-667 speeds. That is normal behavior and a limitation of Intel's chipsets. A true GL960 chipset will be limited to just 2 GiB of DDR2-533.

Could you take a screenshot of your memory configuration with CPU-Z?

You should expect to not achieve the full capability of the 850 EVO performance due to the SATA-II connections used by the chipset. You'll effectively be getting half the bandwidth to the SSD at best.

Regardless, I think the problem you have right now, is the single-core Celeron. That will be holding you back in program load times as well. There's no fix for your SSD bottleneck, but we should be able to sort something out for a processor upgrade.

- Dylan

7. sek0ner

sek0ner Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello there Dylan,
    Thank you for the fast reply!
    These are the specs of the memory
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I know SSD does not reach its full potential, but laptop was almost unusable before that, so I had no choice.
    I've installed Win 10 32bit by the way.
    Edit: As you can see Slot 1 is empty and RAM is @ slot 2. I do not know what that means, though.

8. darnok44

darnok44 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi
    I thought I will shed some light on this subject. Contrary to almost all others laptops with GL960 chipset, HP ones don't play nice with upgrading cpu's. Maybe it's bios thing or something on the hardware level. But going back on topic, Upgrading to processor with higher FSB: 166MHz, 200MHz is possible but require using at least one stick of RAM rated 533MHz/ PC2-4200. Simply speaking: higher FSB cpu's work but RAM has to work with this low speed, it eliminate errors with gpu. If I'm not mistaken, cpu's with FSB 133MHz should work without problems, and the laptop should take 3Gb of RAM. The easy option, but giving You less performance is just popping in 1Gb of any ddr2 sodimm and eg. T2370 1.73GHz,T2390 1.87GHz, T2410 2GHz cpu. Little bit harder would be buying 1GB sodimm 533MHz and slapping faster Merom based proper c2d cpu eg. T5750, T7300, T7500 etc. The fastest option is getting Penryn based processors like T8100, T8300, T9300, T9500. But with them is a problem because we don;t know if bios support them. It would be case of buying cpu and trying it Yourself. Here is some info about it as well to back up me little bit:http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/gl960-chipset-processor-upgradability.212097/page-8
    and on the page 9 to.

sek0ner likes this.
  9. sek0ner

sek0ner Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi there darnok,
    is there a way to check these "microcodes" so that i find out what CPUs my poor HP can support?

10. darnok44

darnok44 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If it's AMI bios then super easy but I don't think so. It's probably Award or Phoenix or some sort propriety HP bios. You can check that easily by entering the bios.

sek0ner likes this.