GL960 Chipset Processor Upgradability

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by michacerboy, Jan 25, 2008.

1. DylRicho

DylRicho Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am very happy that everything turned out well for you. Enjoy the upgrade, and you're most welcome! :D

FrozenLord likes this.
  2. Mike34230

Mike34230 Newbie

Reputations:
    My niece recently gave me her old Acer Aspire 4315-2004. She said it was unusable because it was so slow, so I went to google and found this informative thread.

Went CPU shopping and found the T9500 is still around $50, and the T9300 is over $30. I settled on the T7800 for $25 shipped. CPU-Z shows it running at 800 MHz FSB and it should have a multiplier of 6x to 13x. It’s actually running 4x to 14x, so 800 to 2800! Memory is running at 333 MHz instead of 266.

The service manual has a list of the various components that this laptop might have been put together with. Here is the section on memory:

[​IMG]

Notice it says “Intel GL960 Express chipset” and it says it supports max memory of “4 GB for 64bit OS”. I put it in two sticks of 2GB (PC2-6400), and it booted to BIOS fine, but as expected, win7 32-bit crashed to a blue screen. I went to win8.1 64-bit, and no blue screen, but it just stopped dead during the boot. I now have 1GB in slot 1 and 2GB in slot 2 with no problems. I feel like there must be a way to get 4GB working. Is Hynix memory the only one that might work? Seems unlikely…

3. kit0001

kit0001 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    1) The GL960 supports a maximum of 2GB of DDR2, but if in fact if the chipset is not GL960 and the modified GL965 then it will support 3GB of DDR2, but not 4GB
    2) In order to put the T9500 or T9300 in your BIOS there must be corresponding microcodes for them, if they are not there then the system will not start. Before buying them, check which microcodes are worth.

4. DylRicho

Reputations:
    Hello Mike, and welcome to the forum. :)

Your niece's laptop contains a modified GM965 chipset, which sits in-between the GL960 and the GM965. You can read more about it, here. That will also explain why 4 GB of RAM is giving you blue screens, and why the RAM is running at 667 MT/s.

As for the T7800, it supports Intel Dynamic Acceleration, which is Intel's first iteration of Turbo Boost. It applies only to one core while the other is in a deep sleep (ultra-low-power) mode.

In regards to the table you provided, I would simply put that down to the manufacturer having to state a difference between running a 32-bit operating system, and a 64-bit version (the 3.25 GB RAM limitation). ASUS has stated 4 GB for my model with a 64-bit operating system, but it most definitely gives blue screens. If I have learned anything about these GL960 OEM laptops, it's to never trust the information provided by the manufacturer 100%.

All the best.
    Dylan

5. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    I'm having trouble finding the BSEL mod + PLL mod to install FSB 1066 CPU into a FSB 800 motherboard. I have T61P with a T9500, bought a X9100 for 10$ and I really want to stuff one in here.

6. Reiph

Reiph Newbie

Reputations:
    Here are the combinations with 4 GB DDR2 modules on GL960 chipset

tested on ASUS X58L laptop with X51L motherboard rev. 2.1 (BIOS 203 - Latest)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    DylRicho likes this.
  7. Reiph

Reiph Newbie

Reputations:
    So, the limit of the GL960 chipset is 5 GB of RAM maximum ( 4 + 1 )

while it detects 6 gb ( 4 + 2 ) - but without further successful boot of Windows 7/10 (64bit) (*freezes)

And, unfortunately 8 gb ( 4 + 4 ) - will not work, - just black screen

DylRicho likes this.
  8. Reiph

Reiph Newbie

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

DylRicho likes this.
  9. DylRicho

Reputations:
    Hello Reiph!

Welcome to the NotebookReview forum.

May I ask the memory chip configuration of your 4 GiB module?

Dylan

10. Reiph

Reiph Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello

Kinlstuo 4GB PC 6400 800MHz (Hynix chips)

[​IMG]