GL960 Chipset Processor Upgradability

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by michacerboy, Jan 25, 2008.

1. darnok44

darnok44 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ha ha, it really looks like it is overclocked. Celeron 220 is on FSB 133MHz and in this Asus it work with 166MHz hence the 1.5GHz speed. I see that this laptop use SiS chipset then it is very easy to overclock it with changing so called BSELs because it will not lock multiplier on 6 with core2 processors like Intel chipsets and since it's Celeron which don't have SpeedStep then it will not do that either. About incorporating microcode for Penryns it should be very easy because Asus use AMI bioses. Just find on internet lga771 to lga775 mod where everything is easy explained because in some cases they had to inject microcodes for lga771 xeons to have them work properly.

2. DylRicho

DylRicho Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yeah, I didn't think your BIOS supported Penryn. But, the T7700 is a substantial improvement over your previous chip, so swings and roundabouts. You're most welcome for the help, and I have updated the CPU support page to reflect your findings. :)

3. DylRicho

DylRicho Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Oh, good catch! I completely missed the FSB frequency. I have no personal experience with SiS chipsets, so that was news to me. Thanks. :)
    I will have to check the BIOS. This is how the machine was when we got it.

His particular system was a Toshiba, using a Phoenix BIOS. I have the ASUS laptop (Penryn support was already there, surprisingly, so I had no need to add microcode).