GL960 Chipset Processor Upgradability

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by michacerboy, Jan 25, 2008.

1. kit0001

kit0001 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    And still, SSD is always cold, even then 100% reading load. Hard Disk if the load of 100% reading or writing is always hot, it means there will be an OS crash:) .

2. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
  3. kit0001

Reputations:
  4. kit0001

Reputations:
    I am writing to you now from the system with the T7700 - SLA43 - (CPU-ID 06FA). (Changed T3200 to T7700)
    Tempature has dropped by 5C, it's good, productivity has increased, it is felt.
    http://imgur.com/a/IPAOl
    Now waiting for the T9300 or T9500 :)
    Your table can be slightly adjusted, according to new data.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  5. DylRicho

DylRicho Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That is interesting. Is this still with an unmodified BIOS?

Incidentally, I came across something interesting today while indexing a laptop in the house. ASUS has apparently taken a desktop Celeron processor and overclocked it slightly.

There are no other reports of this kind of configuration being used elsewhere, only by this ASUS laptop. So, information is sparse. Additionally, there are no known SKUs with this clock speed and FSB frequency in tandem. It appears to be a Celeron 220, with a 300 MHz overclock.
    http://i.imgur.com/gtfORqi.png
    http://i.imgur.com/XJuw5Wc.png

Not entirely sure what to make of this. (The laptop is an ASUS K50C, by the way.)

6. kit0001

Reputations:
    Hello! :)
    Yes, my T7700 - SLA43 - (CPU-ID 06FA) runs on native BIOS, it works well, the CPU is not hot. To risk with installation of the modified BIOS yet did not become, what not to break all.
    But without the installation of a modified BIOS (with a microscope 10676), I can not put the T9500 and T9300, it's a little sad ... but maybe later.
    As for the ASUS K50C, I think that it is overclocked, maybe with the help of a newer BIOS version, this is possible.

Thank you for your help!
    Sincerely, Gennady. :):)

7. darnok44

darnok44 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ha ha, it really looks like it is overclocked. Celeron 220 is on FSB 133MHz and in this Asus it work with 166MHz hence the 1.5GHz speed. I see that this laptop use SiS chipset then it is very easy to overclock it with changing so called BSELs because it will not lock multiplier on 6 with core2 processors like Intel chipsets and since it's Celeron which don't have SpeedStep then it will not do that either. About incorporating microcode for Penryns it should be very easy because Asus use AMI bioses. Just find on internet lga771 to lga775 mod where everything is easy explained because in some cases they had to inject microcodes for lga771 xeons to have them work properly.

8. DylRicho

Reputations:
    Yeah, I didn't think your BIOS supported Penryn. But, the T7700 is a substantial improvement over your previous chip, so swings and roundabouts. You're most welcome for the help, and I have updated the CPU support page to reflect your findings. :)

9. DylRicho

Reputations:
    Oh, good catch! I completely missed the FSB frequency. I have no personal experience with SiS chipsets, so that was news to me. Thanks. :)
    I will have to check the BIOS. This is how the machine was when we got it.

His particular system was a Toshiba, using a Phoenix BIOS. I have the ASUS laptop (Penryn support was already there, surprisingly, so I had no need to add microcode).

10. kit0001

Reputations:
    Hello!
    Yes, you know, it turned out to a large extent thanks to you.
    So I'm very grateful to you.
    Now I always think how to update the microcodes and not break the laptop, at the same time.
    :):):)

FrozenLord and DylRicho like this.