Gl702zc or something else for video editing in premiere pro

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Technooby, Mar 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Technooby

Technooby Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys! I've been lurking around this website for years and have never actually posted anything before! For my first post I could really use the help of all you tech savvy great people.

I am about to purchase a new laptop and after months of consideration I believe the days gl702zc may be the best machine for me.

Here are my concerns:
    1. My primary use for this machine will be editing 4K footage in premiere pro. I have read that premiere runs better with CUDA supported GPUs. I have also read that OPENCL works just as well in real world editing and that's the only really important thing is to have a dedicated graphics card for GPU acceleration rather than relying on the CPU alone. This brings me to concern 2.

2. I have read that premiere pro since a recent update isn't working well with intel i7 cpus due to internal (switchable) graphics and premiere defaulting to the internal graphics/not using discrete graphics at all with no fix available. (This is a large part of my leaning toward the ryzen 1700) which brings me to

3. Premiere runs better with more cores/threads. I can't realistically buy a nice sager/clevo style laptop with desktop 8700k and I can't really wait until coffee lake mobile CPUs finally come out.

4. Not being the greatest with computers.. I'm concerned that this laptop not being a huge seller it won't get the bios support/updates it may need to work out issues with the "custom" GPU or any other bugs it may have (is this a dumb concern?)

Those are my main reasonings/concerns. Here are a few things about my use.

1. Video editing only, no gaming needed on this machine.

2. Loud fans don't bother me.

3. Battery life doesn't matter as everywhere I need to edit I'll have access to an outlet.

4. I understand the GPU in this laptop gets hot when gaming (CPU temps sound on par with intel in other machines) but I won't be gaming or pushing the GPU too hard and I'm willing to use a cooling pad during heavy editing. So this shouldn't be a big problem for me I assume?

Does anyone have real world experience editing video on the Gl702zc? Especially in premiere? Is there a better laptop out there for my needs? I'd really like to stick around 1500 but can spend up to 2000 if I absolutely must.

Thanks for anyone who read this huge post and for your help!

Sorry to make this longer but I was told I need to add this (feel free to skip this section if you understood my needs from the above post)

General Questions

1) What is your budget? 2000

2) What size notebook would you prefer? 15-17+

3) Where will you buying this notebook? USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like? No5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? Not really

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? Video editing in premiere

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? Both while always having access to an outlet

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games? No

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? 1

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? Is ok

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows
    Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.) no preference

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.) no preference

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? No

15) When are you buying this laptop? Soon

16) How long do you want this laptop to last? As long as possible

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive? 1tb I would like an ssd as well

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner? No

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    Donald@HIDevolution likes this.
  2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Please edit your post by filling out this form.

3. Technooby

Reputations:
    Done, my mistake.

4. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    The ASUS GL702ZC that you mentioned is perfect for content creation.

ASUS GL702ZC

With ASUS, it is very important to get it from a good reseller to a) get a properly built and tested machine that works out of the box and b) ASUS's customer service/tech support is not the best so this way if you run into an issue, your reseller's internal technical support would be with you to resolve any issues you may encounter.

HIDevolution has some of the best build quality and they stress test the machines well plus their customer service is stellar.

If you click the link above and configure your system, you can email donald@hidevolution.com to get your NBR Forum discount.

hmscott and Donald@HIDevolution like this.
  5. Technooby

Reputations:
    Thanks for all the info. I've seen a lot of people mention Donald at hidevolution, starting to sound like it may be the way to go.

Ultra Male and hmscott like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.