GL702VI with GTX1080 is out. Anyone?

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by PredatoR_TR, Oct 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Sure, but you seem to feel you've reach the potential of the hardware, and there is no more tuning to do. And you are not happy with the end result.

So either you find a way to be happy with what you have, or you instead spend time trying to find ways to pick at it's inability to make you happy, and as it turns out it's much easier to find fault and inadequacy - a range of performance beyond which the hardware won't deliver - than it is to be happy with what you have.

At this point you can return or sell your laptop and continue chasing happiness outside the reach of your current hardware, or enjoy what you have.

Again, even if you were to find a laptop 1080 that delivered 2000mhz+, it wouldn't give enough of an FPS boost to be noticeable. It's just numbers.

If you want sizeable improvement, noticeable bump in FPS, wait for the next generation GPU's to arrive in laptops - and hopefully they will drive performance high enough to not quite reach 240hz monitor refresh - 240 FPS, and people will be unhappy with that plateau as well.

I've seen it happen dozens of times over many years, when you've optimized to the limits of the best hardware someone will come out with a new yardstick that measures outside those limits that you won't be able to reach, without new hardware.

That's how these guys make money. You know that, right? The whole game is tuned to continually extract money from your "unhappy" pockets to attain happiness.

That's the optimal response tuning that is performed on us. ;)

Instead of being an "optimized" unhappy victim of the money grubbers game, choose to allow yourself to finally attain happiness.

You've got the best hardware - tuned to it's optimal limits - there is no more useful performance in this generation to attain, so now it is up to you to decide to be happy having attained "the best".

Happiness is not something you buy, it's something you allow yourself to have - and it's free!! :)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    dnak_ebloa and Kevin@GenTechPC like this.
  2. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Not everything are made equal, perhaps yours needs a different approach of settings and make sure the cooling is working efficiently.

hmscott likes this.
  3. Hedrowin

Hedrowin Newbie

Reputations:
    Sorry you are not happy with your results. I'm sure if you ran a game on a good binned laptop vs. your result you would not really see much of a difference other than in benchmarks. If it makes you feel any better my 7700HQ is a weak one. The best single core score I ever got and it was only one time was 155 marks in cinebench . Seems like 160-165 is not uncommon for msi, aorus, and other extra premium laptops. I tend to get 140-147 marks. Kinda makes the extra gains i got with my gtx 1080 overclock less exciting since there is a bit of a bottle neck going on. Any games settings that involve high cpu usage are very much felt while gaming. As long as i tweak those settings a little, games run awesome. Vermintide 2 tells you what each setting impacts which helps to fine tune that game. if you get a chance, run cinebenchR15 single core test, heaven benchmark, 3d mark firestrike demo, and superposition. We can compare and see if it's really that big of a delta. Remember that even these laptops are not up to today's desktop speeds. They are WAY closer than in previous years thanks to pascal however. Like the very wise words mentioned before, don't forget to have fun gaming on your laptop. When ever i travel or work at my other facility this laptop spoils me with great performance everywhere i go. I have friends that don't even have this level of performance in their desktops. Eluktronics has a desktop i7 8700k laptop if you want to full monty @ a reasonable $3k price. I already have a super gaming desktop pc, so it would have been a bit pretentious of me to speed that much more for a mobile version of my desktop. http://www.eluktronics.com/P775TM1-G if thin and light don't matter to you, this laptop is like Thanos's glove. lol

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018 at 7:40 PM
    inasense and hmscott like this.
  4. ColinMacLaren

ColinMacLaren Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I got this laptop fairly cheap (1.500 EUR) with my "old" G752VS with i6700hq/GTX1070 selling for 1.150 on ebay. So this was a reasonable investment for a significant performance boost (and slightly better display). Since I am using an external 1440p monitor this upgrade really did make a difference, keeping the Framerate above 144fps in First-Person-Shooter games.

My GTX1070 laptop maxed out at 1648MHz. After improving the cooling on the G702VI (repaste with liquid metal, putting some electrical tape on the gaps between fand and cooler, Opolar laptop cooler on hot days) my temps max out at around 75°C, a 10°C improvement over stock. Lower temps also improve efficiency of the mosfets, so higher clocks are attainable. I now max out at 1.900MHz which is a 44% improvement in raw computing power compared to my old laptop.

hmscott likes this.