GL702VI with GTX1080 is out. Anyone?

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by PredatoR_TR, Oct 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
  2. Hedrowin

Hedrowin Newbie

Reputations:
  3. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Very nice Hedrowin!
    How is fan noise when gaming?
    I can see it performed really well but hate excessive fan noise.

4. Hedrowin

Hedrowin Newbie

Reputations:
    So far Warhammer Vermintide 2 is the only game I have played that has gotten the fans to noisy levels. (my desktop gets warm with this game too) Playing injustice 2 I don't even really hear them at all. BF1 has the same result, you can hear them, but its very mild. I may not be as sensitive to fan noise as other users though. I know some people get really critical over this. To me, they are good for the job they are doing. I turned the fan curve to max once just to see, they have the potential to be silly loud if they were to ever run max speed. The honest truth, for the price this laptop is going for with what it has inside, it ticks all the boxes a gamer would want in 2018 for under $2k. No laptop is 100% perfect. The speakers are even loud and clear with just a tiny hint of bass. I would recommend getting this laptop from one of the big chain outlets that do custom extra's like after market thermal paste and storage expansions. They don't charge too much for the job and it saves you the trouble of doing it yourself. Plus your warranty is saved. I would also do a simple under volt with Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel XTU) to shave some temps off and keep the noise levels down.

inasense and IKAS V like this.
  5. Hedrowin

Hedrowin Newbie

Reputations:
    Alrighty, so i would like to update everyone on this laptop. Now that I have had time to really get some serious tweaking and gaming in. After many hours of careful overclocking the gtx 1080, i was able to stably manage +170 core and +605 mem. I was shocked at how well this gtx 1080 could overclock. This really increased the overall performance by a decent margin from stock. The cpu is setup to run full turbo 3.45ghz all cores all the time. That's the max i can get out of 7700HQ as it is. So wish i could overclock it, lol. It's important to note that this laptop was completely re-pasted with thermal grizzly when i ordered this unit. I have the Asus fan boost set for 27% as this is the range i like for low thermals and mild hair dryer noise. Yes, she does get a little noisy at high game loads, but they are still not too bad for me. With headphones on, its even better. :p The cpu temps run about 78-83'C and the 1080 hits 72'C. This is with the overclock while gaming for long sessions.

Now, the big part of this adventure that needs to be brought to attention. When i bought this laptop, i totally over looked that the 16gb of ram in this system was on one big stick of ram. I just assumed logically that it was 2x8gb in this system. It had been bugging me that there was allot of micro-hitching and stuttering. In warhammer: Vermintide 2, this was really bad when i was smashing away at lots of AI enemies on screen. I would NEVER claim that 16gb is not enough ram, 8gb is stall fairly viable in most games. Once I realized i was running in single channel, everything made sense to me as to why this laptop had a fair amount of stuttering. So i went for the trusty crucial RAM that matched the stock Apacer stick. This totally changed how games play on this laptop. I have read and watched many reviews on single vs. dual vs. quad channel blah blah blah. It was not looking like there would be much of a benefit in getting another 16gb for dual channel 32gb of ram. I am so glad i trusted my gut and bought the extra stick for dual channel. This laptop is now silky smooth with near zero hitching and microstuttering. I'm not kidding when I say I am now able to turn most setting up to Ultra on all my games vs. compromising with lowering other settings to reduce the jutters i was getting.

My advice, when buying this laptop, make sure you upgrade to 2x8gb if you get one from one of the big vendor that offers custom extra's. It was $30 extra to go from 1x16gb to 2x8gb. I would have done this if I had realized i was only getting 1x16gb. It's kinda cool to say you have 32gb of ram, but as a gamer it's overkill and the stick cost $158 vs. $30 2x8gb for dual channel.

I was trying like hell to hit 16k in the firestrike demo. I got really close to this, but had to setting for almost. One of my passes netted 15764 marks. But that overclock began to degrade after an hour or 2. I tend to avg. 15500 marks with my current settings. This laptop sometimes has really good bench runs and lower in others. Never seen this big of a delta from one test to the next, but it runs great now all the time. I'm currently running allot faster than a stock $3k+ 7820hk system. With the ram upgrade and my storage upgrades from a stock gl702VI-wb74, total cost for this unit was about $2210. Given it's performance after tweaking, this laptop i feel is an excellent value for powerful mobile gaming. I hope this helps those out there looking for info. I know it's really annoying when you can't find data on a product you want to buy. I really hope this info helps those looking to get into an "affordable" gtx 1080 system. Even if you don't plan on tweaking, DO MAKE SURE you have dual channel memory configed. 16gb or 32gb will give you the most potential out of this laptop.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  6. ColinMacLaren

ColinMacLaren Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    At stock I have like 85°C on both GPU and CPU.
    A repaste with liquic metal did not do much.
    Setting - 0.170V on the CPU and locking the GPU at 1848Mhz@0.875V still results in 78°C on CPU and 83°C on GPU.
    A Opolar Cooler on medium settings brings these temps down to 75°C on CPU and 80°C in GPU.

(Tested with Overwatch with unlocked framerate, resulting in a steady 97% GPU load).

Is this normal? I am especially disappointed at the GPU's performance. Normally a stable 2.000 MHz overlock is the minimum which is to be expected from every GTX1080.

hmscott likes this.
  7. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Congratulations on your new GL702vi!!

Everything seems normal, and I'd undervolt the GPU with MSI Afterburner to get better clock rate and performance - that's the trick with Pascal GPU's

Use RTSS to limit FPS to refresh rate of your display - the rest of the frames are dropped on the floor to run cooler CPU and GPU while gaming.

LM or any repaste on high end Asus laptops often results in only a couple of degree's C improvement, hardly worth it. There have been other such reports in this and other threads for high end Asus laptops.

Same happens on other laptops too, it's really best to tune with software first - get the most performance and coolest operation with undervolt, fan curve, frame limiter, and application tuning to get an optimized baseline before deciding on re-pasting, usually it's not necessary.

Your temps seem great, and with FPS frame limiting to refresh rate, fan curve tuning, etc you should be good to start gaming right now. :)

8. ColinMacLaren

Reputations:
    Honestly, I am quite disappointed right now. Users with laptops from different manufactures but with similar specs (like MSI GT73R) report much higher achievable overclocks on the GPU with lower temps.

As I said, I already undervolted the GPU. I gradually ramp up to 0,875V @1848Mhz with a flat line behind that. Temps are still really high for that.

hmscott likes this.
  9. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It's something we all need to come to terms with, not having the best with others having better. The low percentage of best performing parts leaves most people in this situation.

What work's best long term is to be happy with what you have right now. Accept the good fortune to have what you have, make the best of it within reason of diminishing returns on effort to make it "better", and enjoy using it for your original intention of purchase.

Getting caught up in a never ending cycle of chasing the best performance is a fools game that never ends.

Even if for that fleeting moment when you do finally have the luck of the draw, you manage to have the "best" performing example of hardware, best scores, best temperatures - after that incredibly brief instant in time passes - there are new CPU / GPU hardware or better die yield and performance from newer process optimizations for the CPU's / GPU's in newer laptops.

Don't worry be happy. And, if you can't be happy for others having better luck of the draw, then stop reading about it and instead spend your time enjoying what you have, because if you can't learn to be happy with what you have, you may never allow yourself to be happy with anything.

Of course, you don't want to hear that, you want better than what you have right now, so the only way to get it is to sell what you have and buy something else, and hope that the new hardware makes you happy...rinse and repeat ad infinitum.

Or, just be happy with what you have right now. :)

Seriously though, a couple of mhz higher clock on the GPU won't give you enough % improvement in gaming performance, especially given the already phenomenal performance of the 1080, you are likely going to be dropping any additional FPS on the floor anyway as Vsync/Gsync limit FPS to the display refresh.

Getting more performance in the form of a couple of FPS on top of already too many FPS for the display to use isn't going to make a higher clocked GPU any better than what you already have.

So really, seriously, there isn't anything to be disappointed about, you can allow yourself to be very happy, right now. :)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  10. ColinMacLaren

Reputations:
    First of all - optimizing the system, tinkering with both hardware and software in order to squeeze out an additional couple percent of performance increase is part of the fun of buying new hardware, at least for me. If I just want to play games I could just get an XBox One X.

Second I am using a 1440p 144Hz monitor. Since it does not feature G-Sync trying to stay above 144fps as much as possible is one of my goals.