GL503 fans spin loudly for 30 seconds every 2-3 minutes.

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by craison, Aug 28, 2018.

1. craison

craison Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey everyone,

I've been using the laptop for a week now and everything has been going really well. The cpu and gpu idle in the mid to late 40's and when gaming they don't go above 70C.

The only issue I'm having is that even when I leave the laptop to idle doing nothing or doing light things like web browsing the fans ramp up quite high and over 30 seconds the speed lowers and this seems to happen every 2-3 minutes.

I don't really know why this happens and the constant ramping up and down is starting to annoy me. Asus gaming center doesn't seem to have anything to manually adjust fan speed (only fan overboost but I have no idea what this actually does). I also tried speedfan but the fans don't show up.

Some advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

2. undervolter0x0309

undervolter0x0309 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    You are SOL. Try a cooling pad maybe. Asus is going down the Apple road of controlling such obvious things like fan speed. Which is a shame since their hardware "looks" nice. The cooling is subpar and their thermal configuration is built to keep your machine overly stable. At the cost of annoying issues like your example or not performing up to the specs you bought it for. I have an Asus gl703ge and I'm annoyed at the under performance and lack of fan control which is causing absurd throttling.

3. Support.3@XOTIC PC

Support.3@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    IIRC fan sensors and controls are not accessible in that model. The fan curves are more aggressive than they need to be, making it ramp up often like that.

undervolter0x0309 likes this.
  4. craison

craison Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply.

When it's really quiet in my room I can hear like a very faint noise (so faint that I need to get my ear close to the keyboard to actually hear it) sort of a cross between an old dot matrix printer and the sound a hard drive makes when writing data (There are only ssds' in the laptop).

What do you think it is?