Gigabyte U2442N Review

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by TheLawIX, Aug 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hu1

hu1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My CPU temps are normal. The fan keeps them at ~43-45 C which is what it has always been. Gaming temps around 80-85. It's just that the fan has begun to audibly buzz (loudly) and vibrate the chassis as the fan rpm increases. This began about 3 weeks ago, about a week after I started playing Need for speed Most wanted a lot. So I think something came loose inside the fan assembly when I started to make the fan work for extended periods. I've opened the case up to make sure there's nothing stuck in there, cleaned the little amount of dust there was and made sure it was securely mounted by the 3 screws. I asked gigabyte support about it but all they said was to fill out an RMA form and send it in.

I'm curious what kind of scratches they fixed for you? I have two major scratches by the touch pad clicker, although merely cosmetic, caused by my wrist watch.

2. TheLawIX

TheLawIX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You're misunderstanding. They scratched it and did something to the touchpad then sent it back. I'm working with them now to have it resolved. Not the best experience so far.

Sent from my Nexus 4

3. hu1

hu1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Oh, that's a shame to hear. Hopefully I will have a better experience.

4. Neologism123

Neologism123 Newbie

Reputations:
    Yeah, wrist-watches are a freakin' No-Go on this laptop... I feel your pain! :D

5. Neologism123

Neologism123 Newbie

Reputations:
    @TheLaw9: As you generally seem to be the most proficient user in this forum/thread, I have a serious question for you: I mainly use the u2442n as a desktop-replacement and have recently hooked-up two 24" LCD-Monitors to it. The thing is, I desperately need 3 displays to work independently. Previously, I
    resolved this particular issue by using a VGA-to-USB adapter but that was kinda sucky (USB 2.0).

So, there I was - happy as could be - thinking that VGA+HDMI would provide me with an easy solution for my predicament BUT oh no no no...apparently fu**** Intel HD 4000 has been trimmed down to urinate into people's faces (my face).

The question is: How would you go about a three-monitor-setup with the u2442n? I realize, there is an option for a VGA to USB (3.0) adapter, but that's like 80 bucks extra...

Btw: Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit)...

Please help me! :frown:

6. TheLawIX

Reputations:
    Hey bro, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I don't think you have any other options. The only way to split an output like HDMI would be through an HDMI splitter, but this would just output the same image to both external monitors. I'm sure you know that Windows+P pulls up multi-monitor support. All I can see working as-is, is the laptop display as primary and two external monitors set on each side by selecting the "extended" option. However, as the HD4000 only supports two monitors, this may not work.

Theoretically, You could use the HD4000 to output to 1 or 2 external displays and the 640M to output to 1 or 2 different external displays. While this would be easy to achieve on a desktop, I don't believe it would be possible in our case. However, it may be possible to do this with a USB to display adapter, forcing the 640m to output through the USB. Take that idea with a grain of salt though, I have no experience with USB outputs and don't know the limitations of the H77 in that regard.

On a side note, W8 is completely superior in regards to multi-monitor support vs W7. All the random ter and performance issues are gone in W8. Ideally, the U2442N (and 99%) of all other notebooks are not ideal candidates for multi-monitor (especially 3). I wouldn't plan on gaming on anything but the primary display/primary resolution (the size of the monitor doesn't matter; higher resolution is the stressor). You will be find for basic tasks/media though.

7. n1tr0

n1tr0 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Are you having any driver issues ? I just wiped and loaded up my copy of Win 7 Ultimate 64, got everything running, and installed the latest HD 4000 drivers... those resulted in all sorts of crashing, like the WDM, mail, etc... Apparently the latest Nvidia drivers don't recognize my GT 730 either, so I'm running the older stuff off the Gigabyte download page.

Great notebook so far, I'm definitely laying down some vinyl on it to prevent scratches (and hide the gold lid).

8. TheLawIX

Reputations:
    No driver issues here. I have a 640m and I force it off for everything but games.

Sent from my Nexus 4

9. n1tr0

n1tr0 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was able to update the Nvidia drivers up to 311.07 by using the Windows 8 version (instead of the 307.xx for Win7) on Gigabyte's U2442D download page, but I haven't found any way to get 314.22 or any other packages directly from Nvidia to install. I was hoping the actual Windows 7 bios might help, but no matter how many times I run the install file, by the time the notebook boots up again, it's on the Windows 8 bios again/still... I was kind of expecting better based on my experience with Gigabyte motherboards.

10. TheLawIX

Reputations:
    It's an intel mobo, not Gigabyte. What exactly is your issue? I'll try my best to help.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.