Gigabyte U2442N Review

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by TheLawIX, Aug 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lezul

Lezul Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you! Finally got the case open.

I couldn't find any cables or things which were poking through the fans but I pressed down all the cables I could see through the fans with a screwdriver (didn't feel confident enough to take off the fans) and the sound seems to have stopped. Thank you!

2. omghi2u

omghi2u Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Is this placebo or something? I noticed something different about the colours even after installing .net framework 4.5 before the BIOS flash! Now after the update, I noticed the brightness adjustment is soft and gradual instead of instantaneous, and around 70%+ brightness I think I detect an adjustment to the colour profiling. Cool beans.

Aside, did anyone else run into weird spastic shutting off for the first few times after the BIOS update? that literally scared the out of me.

3. infocalypse

infocalypse Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No, there's definitely something funky going on. I've yet to flash back to stock I've found that I could keep increasing the brightness a few more levels (via keyboard Fn keys) beyond 100%, although the displayed number would never exceed 100. I've since rebooted and now when I adjust the brightness via the keyboard the brightness changes but the on-screen values never change from zero. Weird.

4. ravenperch

ravenperch Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    u2442n.png

U2442N Review by Custom PC UK

5. Tin2

Tin2 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi, may i know if anyone is having game crashes with the Nvidia 310.90 firmware?

6. nbdy

nbdy Newbie

Reputations:
    I just got my U2442N and I would like to know if it is possible to use 3 displays (win7) in extended mode?
    I connected two external monitors via the hdmi and vga port but only got two monitors to work. either both externals or one external and the laptop screen. I found some source that said that the Intel HD 4000 can handle up to 3 displays(and I assume the gt can do this as well), so maybe I just need to change certain preferences to get this working..

7. TheLawIX

TheLawIX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey guys,

Can everyone who has purchased a U series notebook confirm or deny that the LED back-light is bleeding through the LCD border. My review has pictures of the issue.

8. sbroe01

sbroe01 Newbie

Reputations:
    I have purchased my U2442N in January, UK spec - no backlight bleeding noticeable with normal screen brightness a rather dark, unlit room...
    In the pitch black and completely covering the screen, I can make out some bleeding through the bottom right border, however practically nothing on the left.

Love it - best PC purchase I ever made!

9. Neologism123

Neologism123 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey,

to answer your question: I could not find any back-light-bleeding at all.

While we are on it: Has anyone else noticed a rather slow resume from sleep in Windows 7? It takes like 4-5 seconds and my complaining is most likely somewhat "nitpicky", BUT even my netbook (hp pavilion dm1z) is way faster, since it takes <2 seconds to resume from sleep.

I do have installed the latest "Intel Rapid Start" drivers but it still takes the u2442n at least twice as long as the friggn netbook with it's (comparatively) ridiculous specs (AMD E-350, 4 gig ram...).

Do any of you have a similar experience?

10. TheLawIX

TheLawIX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    4-5 seconds sounds about right to me (I don't think you're recovering from sleep). Intel Rapid Share will essentially turn your system off after making a copy of current activity. Upon resume it loads that copy. From sleep it will recover much quick, I suggest you adjust the Intel Rapid Start config to not go into deep sleep and simply remain in sleep when closed (will take more batter).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.