Gigabyte U2442 Line

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by Prometheum5, Jun 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hu1

hu1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Really? I have the 640m and I've had 0 issues installing the latest drivers directly from Nvidia's website.

2. Toviah

Toviah Newbie

Reputations:
    Alright, I think it's time to pull the trigger on this. There's a lot of different models though, can anyone tell me if there's a significant increase in performance between the i5 processor and the i7 processor, as well as the 730M gpu vs 640 gpu? And how will those affect battery life?

3. n1tr0

n1tr0 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The 730M is equiv. to a 645M or an overclocked 640M, but it is using a new chip, thus the issue with drivers. Currently stuck on the 3.11.xx drivers from Gigabyte. I wouldn't worry about upgrading to an i7 unless it's a true quad-core i7 w/ hyperthreading (8 virtual cores). The dual-core i7 is a marketing scam and a cash grab. Unless you have money to throw away, I'd skip it.

4. hu1

hu1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The ULV i7 chip is 17W while the i5 is 35W. The CPU performance is about the same between the two chips but the i5 has faster integrated graphics. So basically you'd pick the i7 for its power efficiency but its up to you whether that's worth the extra ~$150.

5. patroesj

patroesj Newbie

Reputations:
    I followed this thread for some months. In May I bought the u2442f at amazon germany. After 2 months I got problems, when I started the computer it went straight to the BIOS. After a couple of restarts it didn't even start again. I pressed the on button and I heard a noise and saw lights blink for about 2 seconds. After that it shut down and restarted again. That continued until i pushed the on/off button again and it shut down.

I sent it back to amazon and now I got my money back. Since it's ofcourse possible that I got the odd one out. So I wanted to buy the same laptop again. But now I see that they announced the U24 series like the u24f with even a better GPU! They say it will be released end of july/begin august. So I guess I want to wait. But does anyone now how it went with the u2442 series? Did they get released in USA, UK and germany around the same time? Or first in the USA and after a while in other countrys? I live in the Netherlands and it's ok for me to buy it in the UK or in Germany. But when I don't think I can wait for more than 2 months. (My current Sony Vaio is 4 years old and defeniately wants to retire... )

So does have anyone a thought on when we can expect the u24f and if it's at first only in usa and after that in europe? I know its only speculating... but it helps me to decide if I want to wait or I buy the u2442f again. But when the new series is out, the price of the 2442f maybe decreases and that would be nice too.

6. RayDid

RayDid Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I know that the U24F will be released in France in September, and I guess it's the same for other countries in Europe.

Someone tried to have windows and linux on a U2442V ?

7. byviolet

byviolet Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What's the best line that gigabyte has right now that I can actually buy? Or any that are coming out VERY soon (before september).

8. raptir

raptir Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm looking at the upcoming U24F or the P34G depending on if I decide I need a gaming laptop or not. I tried browsing through the topic for this answer, but it's quite a long topic. How does the U2442 line handle heat while gaming? I previously had an MSI X460DX, another thin-and-light with decent enough specs for gaming, and it would run incredibly hot whenever I was pushing it. The wrist rest would heat up to the point where I could not use the laptop for more than an hour.

9. n1tr0

n1tr0 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I would not recommend a Gigabyte laptop to any gamers regardless of the hardware. Without regular software (ie. video driver) updates it's really a waste of money. Horrible, horrible support.You'd be better sticking with companies that have a proven track record with customer support. If I could return this POS, I'd probably go with the 14" Razer, an MSI, or any number of other options.

10. raptir

raptir Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Do the drivers from Nvidia's website not work? With my MSI X460DX I always used those over MSI's drivers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.