Gigabyte U2442 Line

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by Prometheum5, Jun 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Korgnex

Korgnex Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm sorry to make a double posting but I'm really in need of help and my chances of getting might be higher if I post this here, too:

Guys, I need your help please!

My U2442N is broken (doesn't start any more, so mainboard seems to be defective) and repair departments are often checking out what's on the hard drives, so I can't take that risk.

I remember folks here have been able to replace the internal hard drives, so I am asking for help if someone here can help me with detaching the back case and how to remove the hard drives.

It is my understanding that I only need an adapter to connect the internal hard drives (128 GB SSD + 750 GB HDD) externally via USB 2.0 in order to wipe out the data on it.

Now I have already removed the screws from the back case but I am not sure how to remove the back case without breaking it. There seems to be a resistance and I don't want to get it damaged.

So PLEASE could someone who knows how it works explain it here step-by-step (with pictures maybe) or make a video tutorial (I think more people would be interested how to replace the internal hard drives for this wonderful laptop)?
    I would appreciate any help very much! It is a wonderful device, I'm very frustrated it is now broken and I need to wipe out the hard drives which I can't access right now and thus need to remove them.

I'm German, you can write in German or English, I'm thankful for every kind of support/help.

2. omghi2u

omghi2u Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  3. gcballer625

gcballer625 Newbie

Reputations:
    My fan has also started to rattle after a month of use. I was wondering how did you go about getting a new fan from GIGABYTE and also replacing it? Or is there a way of fixing the fan without getting a new one?

4. n1tr0

n1tr0 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I haven't poked around at the fan in this notebook, but you can usually find a retainer clip under the sticker. If you remove that and pop the fan-blade/rotor off and add a dab of grease to the shaft hole they'll usually run quiet for the next few years. I've fixed a lot of PC fans this way.

5. Geomancer

Geomancer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am looking for a replacement for my old Asus UL30VT-A1, and I found out this really nice notebook. I have fully read this thread and a couple of similar ones, and I hope to get the notebook in the next couple of months before the us dollar to argentinean peso exchange rate gets worse.

I was looking for an Asus, as I really love my UL30, but there is nothing with nice vga + 900p around.. and actually the build quality on the asus leave much to be desired, I know that model was really "experimental" for the time, but my unit is falling apart literally. Hardware wise is rock solid, but the full left side of the laptop (casing, hinge and lcd bezel) is screwed.

6. coresaga

coresaga Newbie

Reputations:
    i'd get haswell ultrabooks when they are available if your gonna wait for a couple months anyways

7. pmaster500

pmaster500 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    yeah the Haswell line looks very promising
    I'm especially curious about the 15 inch (U35F) but as always no one at Computex was interested in Gigabyte's line enough to make a video, so all we have are specs and press shots.

btw, sorry to hijack, I was thinking about making a new thread for them but I wasn't sure if people are interested.

Actually can GIgabyte get its own sub least? I mean even chromebooks have one c'mon

8. Toviah

Toviah Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm considering buying one of these, since after reading this entire thread (whew!) the only concern seems to be that the fan turns on at weird times. Can anyone else share if they had success with dragonuk's solution a couple pages back, or some other method?

9. hu1

hu1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    For me, the fan only comes on when the temperature exceeds 45 C which is a pretty low threshold but I guess it does keep it cool. I've tried the fan control software and it does work. I've turned the fan off and I end up turning it back on at around 56 C and it will take ~20 seconds to put it back down to 44 C.

10. n1tr0

n1tr0 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The fan is a bit annoying. It would be nice to have it come on with a variable speed, Performance, battery life, and heat management is pretty decent given the light weight and expandability.
    The real annoyance with this notebook is Gigabyte's failure to update the video drivers. If you get one with the older Nvidia 600 series there might be a way to use Nvidias drivers directly, but their software won't recognize the 730M. Contacting Gigabyte's customer support is utterly useless. "The manufacturer of this system requires that you download the driver for your GPU from their support site."
    :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.