Gigabyte U2442 Line

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by Prometheum5, Jun 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prometheum5

Prometheum5 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Gigabyte U2442 line- U2442 and U2440
    GIGABYTE - Notebook / Slate & Device - Notebook & Netbook - U series

Anyone following these? There've been some hands on videos that look promising. HD+ screen and discrete Kepler GPU is matches up with what I've been holding out for. I've never bought from (or even heard of) Gigabyte before, but the limited impressions I've read seem alright. Anyone else looking forward to this? Are Gigabyte computers usually available in the US?

2. nantesfrance

nantesfrance Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This is the perfect computer for me... It doesn't look like it's coming to the US anytime soon, however

3. phenominous

phenominous Newbie

Reputations:
  4. Prometheum5

Reputations:
    Have they said something to that effect, or is this an assumption based on the lack of detail. I assumed hands on previews bu US-based sites like Endgadget indicated some hope, but I'm pretty new to the idea of buying laptops from companies other than, say, HP or Asus.

5. Maelwys

Maelwys Notebook Consultant NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I imagine it will eventually make its way over to the US but it may take a while. Gigabyte is following in Asus', and to a lesser degree MSI's, footsteps. If you're a computer builder, Gigabyte is well known in the US for manufacturing high quality motherboards and video cards, but as far as I know their laptops have been a secondary product line and were mostly for the Asian market. Now, as with all companies going global, they're introducing things to the US and Europe and trying to figure out how to compete with the likes of Dell, Sony, Asus, and Lenovo with established channels and marketing, while having only a fraction of the budget and size.

In summary, it'll take time for them to get things moving, because they can't make the big global pushes like the bigger players can. That all said, I would really love to get some hands on time with the U2442 as well.

6. phenominous

phenominous Newbie

Reputations:
    I would gladly purchase their laptop, if they would just let me. In fact, I would rather buy the U2442V than Samsung's NP700Z5C or Asus's N56V. Why? cause the U2442 is only 14" and it has a GT 640M card :D I've also looked into the Alienware M14x R2 laptop. It's also 14" but hey, it's 3kg while Gigabyte's is only 1,59kg. And it's Alienware. Frankly speaking, I don't really wanna be branded a gamingnerd if I were to bring that laptop to school ;)

Anyways, the U2442V is an ultraportable ivy bridge laptop that has a really nice design.. it's a great choice for a student like me who's looking for a small laptop that can handle high end graphics :p

I don't know about other people but for me, anything above 14 inch is not portable. So I was really happy when I found out about this laptop :D

Gigabyte's totally got me. For now anyways. Besides, I read on other forums that Gigabyte's customer support is terrific meanwhile Asus's for instance is..not as good. :cool:

7. Prometheum5

Reputations:
    I gave up and bought a tricked out 13" Sony S. Need something now, and can't wait around for this to maybe eventually make its way over.

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    Since Gigabyte does have distribution networks in North America, hopefully, it will import the 2442N into the US. If not, the only way to get one would be from PCHome in Taiwan, which will ship to the US. This Article says that the U2442N will have a powerful GT650M, making it the king of the hill in ultrabooks. Kepler ultrabooks show up at Computex

9. iBluff

iBluff Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    yea at 1200usd is this a good buy? its available in my country right this moment

10. sancez

sancez Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Depending on the config u will get(1600x900, 128GB SSD+750GB/1TB, low voltage?).
    I would say the price is good. Would buy it myself for roughly 1k Euro.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.