]]>

Gigabyte P56XT

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by BarnacleBill, May 30, 2017.

1. servo386

servo386 Newbie

Reputations:
    avalanche, any idea how i could order one in the US?

2. avalance

avalance Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hm, so in comparison i would not say the Gigabyte P56XT is worse build anyway. It´s okay for what you pay in focus quality, and yes it´s still plastic but i can´t find "nopes" (and fingerprings you´ll also have on the metal ones). So the P56XT "over" the MSI Raider is one more 2,5" Device, ThunderBolt3 port (for whom who cares), possible much better battery life time, better looking backlit keyboard in the dark (personal preference as i dislike the glow arround key´s). I guess the MSI will point in better speakers, better display (refresh rate bus also without gsync) and we´ll see how´s about the cooling and average noise levels (which are awesome spoken for my P56XT but the MSI has a lot of headpipes, which can help but we´ll see what serious reviewers will find out here).

@servo386 (with or without Co Processor? :p) i have no idea as I´m based in Europe, and just had luck to find a dealer with QUERTZ keyboard layout. Maybe there´s any official Gigabyte Represantive in this forum who can find an answer for you. http://www.gigabyte.us/Buy#101142000,,1,1,1-0 is what i´ve found, but i bet there will be a lot of retails who sell Aorus or Gigabyte in the US. I also bet Amazon will have some instock pretty soon.

3. jrwingate6

jrwingate6 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Avalance... Can you post some thermals during stress and gaming?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

4. avalance

Reputations:
    Hi,

already done on page 4, so i do not run "stress tests" in form of "burn in" or something, my temps are from gaming sessions (arround 2 or 3 hours):

On wooden table and -0,125V VCore:
    CPU: arround 80°C to 87°C / no throtteling
    GPU: arround 76°C to 82°C / no throtteling

On Coolermaster Ergosand "laptop cooler":
    CPU: arround 75°C to 82°C / no throtteling
    GPU: arround 70°C to 78°C / no throtteling

In general, in 2D tasks as surfing / office / light stuff the Fan´s wont kick in in general, which is pretty awesome. Due gaming (i do not own Whicher3 but GTA5 and PUBG and BF1 and stuff) the fans never kick in to 100% rpm, and run randomly between 55% and 75% as far as i can "hear", which is also pretty impressive. I am really happy with current stand, but maybe i will thermal repaste my P56XT just to get the last few Kelvins out of the cooling solution :) and just for fun.

In direct comparison with Alienware15R3/6820HK and MSI GT72 i had before, its quieter under load, and the GT72 is a big fat ass cooling, which is impressive. The Alienware was much more louder or running on a "i hate the frequence" sound, but all in one the AW was faulty by design so not sure if that counts in for a comparison.

*on Coolermaster ErgoStand (Laptop Cooler)
    [​IMG]

and here on a wooden table without any additional cooling:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  5. jrwingate6

jrwingate6 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The GPU temp worries me a little bit. CPU looks fine but I don't like the GPU approaching the 80's.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

6. Jared_T

Jared_T Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You could give the CPU an undervolt so it lessens the heat load since the P56 uses shared heatpipes so you're reducing temps on both your chips. Or you could do a repaste. Factory applications are questionable anyways

7. servo386

servo386 Newbie

Reputations:
    So I just ordered one of these finally cause it really seems like the perfect laptop for me minus the heat issues i guess, which is I ordered it from HIDevoltion with the highest level of thermal re-pasting service they do. Once I get it, I'll let you guys know how it goes. For what its worth, you need to search this is a "Gigabyte p56xv7" or something similar to find this on Amazon/Newegg and HID and XoticPC.

8. avalance

Reputations:
    Cool, let us know how it works and which temp´s your´s reach. I´ve ordered the Kryonaut paste and will do a repaste this week, it would be nice to get some degrees lower :)

9. avalance

Reputations:
    Attached some images from the thermal repaste of my Gigabyte P56XT. After Removing 11 screws from backplate you will see something like this:
    1.jpg

Now there´s just a need to unscrew 1 screw per fan, disconnect the fan cabels and carefully untighten the headspreader screws crosswise (to prevent too much preasure on an edge) (4x on GPU 3x on CPU). Pretty easy to perform, thanks for that kind of layout goes out to Gigabyte.

After removing the Headspreader
    2.jpg
    4.jpg

After cleaning CPU/GPU and Headspreader
    2.jpg
    3.jpg

Attached Files:

• 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      485.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  10. avalance

Reputations:
    And attaching the Kyronaut it looks like this:
    6.jpg

Once done I´ve put back the Headpipe in place, and slowly raised preasure while doing a slight rotaion movement to make sure it fit´s as expected. Then i´ve startet to tighten the screws as much as it let me do.

I guess either i have too much thermal paste on it, or too less, whatever, i guess i need to repaste again as the temp´s wont be as expected.

Also possible that I´ve did half the job and further has to replace the stock thermal paste from headspreader and modules on the images as I´ve did not cleaned/repasted or touched those (only CPU/GPU) either maybe that´s the reason and i can close the gap little further with the next attempt.

After tightening the screws back on there´s not much room for me to raise the preasure of the headpipes, but will have a deeper look into that.

After couple of DAYS now:
    with Kyronaut i have better (2 to 7 Kelvin) temps than "stock" on Notebook Cooling Stand
    it even did not kick into the highest fan mode (i guess 80%) than before on GamingProfile

with Kyronaut the fans kick in much later now

and now the Bullsh*** part:
    I am a idiot, the temps get that higher cause i´ve not connected the fan for the GPU

with Kyronaut on the other handside now I have higher temps on a wooden table (without cooling stand) than before which is pretty confusing ;O) so yesterday on a gaming session CPU went up to the 91°C and GPU to the 85°C, also the device feels slightly "hotter" in the upper area (on the wooden table) than before - after a gaming session (PUBG ~2hrs). I´m pretty sure i never went >90°C CPU/GPU before and i´ve did not changed any other parameters or had any stuff working in the background.

Regards, aVa

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017