***Gigabyte P37X Owner's Lounge***

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by Cormogram, Feb 2, 2015.

1. LVNeptune

LVNeptune Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Just throwing this out there but in my opinion the X3+ V3 is quiet enough for me :)

2. Zymphad

Zymphad Zymphad

Reputations:
    I'm impressed by the GPU, I would not OC the 980M though, but stock 980M is still twice what I had with 675MX.

I'm disappointed by CPU. I reach 92 at 4.2ghz on a desktop CPU.

But overall, wish I had known about this laptop as an option, but maybe did alright since the fan noise on this machine is the quietest I've had to date so far, and I did own a G73JH before.

3. sirixamo

sirixamo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The notebook is, so far, very good. It is very fast, throttling has not been an issue in-game yet and I've left the fan on 'Automatic - Low'. That said, the fan is pretty loud, no matter what game you are playing. That is a little annoying, but if you wear headphones or it doesn't bother you, then it is a great laptop. I love the screen, it's hard to find a 17" IPS screen and it is a beauty.

The trackpad stinks, the reviews are right. It is not very big and the actually buttons take up a sizable chunk of it. As you said though, I primarily use a mouse anyway, I have a Glaxay Tab S if I want *truly* mobile computing, this notebook is for when I can sit down at a desk either at work or in the hotel, and work or game.

Edit: Oh, the laptop is dead quiet when you aren't gaming, too.

NeoteriX likes this.
  4. NeoteriX

NeoteriX Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm okay with wearing headphones while I game. That said, I live in a small apartment; is the fan annoying from like 5-10 feet away? What I'm getting at is that will it be annoying to another person watching TV or if I wanted to hook the laptop up to a TV for Steam Big Picture mode, would it be annoying?

Thanks! Your input so far has been great

5. NeoteriX

NeoteriX Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    A video from GenTech surveying the new P37X:

XGIII likes this.
  6. pineanas

pineanas Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi sirixamo,
    I am looking for a slim gaming laptop and I cannot find anything better than the p37x, so I was wondering if I can ask you some questions about it.
    I intend to use it also for graphics 3dsmax/photoshop, I was wondering how it would fare with some rendering tasks, would it throttle the CPU if you leave it for 3h to render sth.
    Also is the loud fan a real issue/deal breaker in your opinion? I mean if you go with the internal speakers does it make a movie illegible due to loud fan noise?
    I really want to buy a strong 17" gaming machine that doesnt look like a fisher price toy and can be used comfortably for business and the p37x looks like a real contender..
    Thanks,

XGIII likes this.
  7. XGIII

XGIII Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi all, I'm also interested by this laptop. I want to know if these high cpu temp (90c) is not a problem for the long term/durability. Also if it's easy or not to repast and to clean the fans.

8. sirixamo

Reputations:
    I think it would be perfectly suited for those tasks. The CPU throttling only happens when both the GPU and CPU are maxed out for an extended period of time. I believe rendering tasks are primarily CPU intensive, yes? I doubt you would have any trouble only taxing one of them, you would likley get the full turboboost speed (which i think is something like 3.5ghz?). If you believe you will max out both, then just assume you're going to be somewhere in the 2.3-2.5ghz range for your CPU. This has very little to no effect on gaming, but I can't speak to what the effect would be for rendering.

As far as movies and fan noise go, no, you could watch a movie just fine. When the CPU/GPU aren't being taxed the fans are dead quiet, and a movie would not tax them, you would be fine.

Well no one can say for certain, but I don't think so. I believe the max TDP on this CPU is 105C, which we are forced to stay 10C under by Gigabyte. In theory, according to intel, we could run all the way up to 105C without damaging the chip.

That said, I just repasted my cpu/gpu and will run some tests shortly. I found the stock paste on the P37X though was actually quite good, I really don't expect much of a change.

9. sirixamo

Reputations:
    Alright I am back with a few preliminary results...

After repasting: No change. The temperatures, fan, everything stayed about the same. This is after ~30 minutes of prime95/furmark. As I said, the original paste on mine anyway was pretty good, it didn't look nearly as bad as the pictures from the P35X, so I am not surprised to see there was very little change. I know you need to 'burn in' the paste a bit, so I will continue testing, but I do not expect any changes. (Arctic Silver 5)

Here are my 3d Mark Firestrike scores after upgrading my machine to 16gb of memory and throwing in a 1tb EVO 850 instead of the normal HDD:

auto-low fan score: 8405
    auto-high fan: 8396
    max fan: 8540
    stealth fan: 4301

Scores seem very similar, I am sure auto low/high was just a normal fluctuation (ran each 3x and took the highest). The max fan score is marginally above the others, though it is noticeably louder. Don't think that auto-low is quiet though, it is still pretty loud, much louder than the MSI GE70-2PE I had sitting next to it, even though that notebook has a shared GPU/CPU vent.

That said, one other interesting thing is the 'Stealth Fan' option. I ran 3d Mark again with Stealth on and the fans barely even spun up, they were nearly dead-quiet during the entire test. The scores, obviously, suffer, because the GPU and CPU both throttle in this instance, but I think Stealth may be a viable option for games that are not extremely demanding (like League of Legends, or SCII, or DOTA, etc.) or where you are already well-exceeding 60FPS.

10. pineanas

pineanas Newbie

Reputations:
    Sirixamo,

Thank you kindly for your reply.
    I am really dead set on this machine as I love the design and I need it primarily for 3dmax/photoshop as well as some occasional hobby gaming:)(I will never give this up!:))
    This is gonna be quite a strain on my budget though, and as you are the only person I have talked to that has one, could I ask you to run one test for me please?

Using any soft like Geekbench 3 (primatelabs.com/geekbench) or some online CPU stress test (http://silver.urih.com/ - raytracing stress test) could you check thermals at 20-30+ min?

You had a great point that if its only CPU there could be no throttling, but I would like to be as sure as possible, because this will be my work machine and the budget is quite high for me.
    If its truly under 89degrees for long term CPU only @100% load, I can live with the fan noise and what the heck, I'll import that p37x:)))

Again thank you very much for your help, its much appreciated
    Kind regards,
    Peter